Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Skipping Valentine's Day



February is my least favorite month, but boy, do I love Valentine's Day. Really. 

Each February with all its snow and cold I need a warm holiday like that one. Even before February I buy heart postage stamps and Valentines, I wait anxiously then I address my Valentines to friends, old and new, near and far away.

Makes me feel 10-years-old and creative and all filled with anticipation and who doesn't love that?

But I'm not doing Valentine's Day this year.

Nah, it just didn't work out. I ordered some special Valentines from Amazon, some of the coolest retro ones ever, but they sent me a note (late) saying they can't find the ones I ordered and I could cancel or let them keep searching until March 5th. 

I decided to let them keep trying (those were some awesome cards).

Of course, I could have driven down to our drug store and searched for some average Valentines (they don't make 'em like they used to) or I could have created my own. But you know? I felt as though God was asking me to skip Valentine's Day this year. Why would He do that? I believe for these reasons:

1.) So I could remember that there will always be more to February than just Valentine's Day. He is always the best thing about any month.

2.) So I'd recall how important it is to be like mold-able clay in His hands and not the hardened stuff. Would it take an Act of Congress to make me release Valentine's Day this year, or just a whisper?

3.) So to check my attitude--will I fall apart with disappointment just because God asked me to give up one of my very favorite things? Or will I remain happy, secure and thrilled just because I know Him?

I know, sounds ominous just because my Valentines didn't show up. heh. But generally, for me, there's always a "why behind a what." And I enjoy discovering it.

Disappointment--wow! What a potential poison. I see lots of disappointment in Christian blogs lately---many folks are sad over the way our Country is being led and some call it righteous anger.

And there is that, I know. 

But here's something else I know: There is righteous anger, but there is not righteous worry. Or righteous stomach aches due to worry. And even righteous anger was never meant to become a lifestyle.

Just something to chew on, like an antacid today. シ



*******

I just may do Anytime Valentines later this year. I wrote about those here.


******

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Hi Debra,
I am always up lifted by your post.
I also have discovered that when things do not go as i had planned there usually is a better plan.
Elizabeth (simplepleasures)

Anonymous said...

What a great way to look at it.

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

WHATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT?!?!?!

I started fussin' and fuming, when I read the Subject Line. Having exclaimed out loud, I read the post, to Uncle A. who reads the paper in the den in the morning, while I'm on the computer.

But I said, after the first line; "Oh she is just being cute, and sucking us in!" "She won't mean it, in the end."

Harrrrumphhhh!

Double harrumphhhhhhhhhh!

She is not being funny and sucking me in. She means it. Whatttt??? When Debra forgoes Valentines Day, the Spring may not come! The grass may never grow again! Fruit trees may not bud! Etc. Etc. Etc.

Reading your post this morning, is *nearly* enough to make me rethink my "past ways." -giggles- Remember what we feuded and fussed about, wayyyyyyyyy backkkkkkk whennnnnnnn? -more giggles- Yes, I'm a nut, but I just had to throw _that_ in here. >,-))))))))

Aunt Amelia
"All love that has not friendship for its base, is like a mansion built upon the sand."
~ Ella Wheeler Wilcox