Friday, February 23, 2007

Nancy, My Neighbor




I don't believe I've ever told you about my next door neighbor, Nancy.

 When we first moved-in 14 years ago, she told me all about Mr. and Mrs. Murphy who'd built our house in 1935 and through the years she's kept me up-to-date on our neighborhood. She's the kind of neighbor a patrolman told us was helpful to have--Nancy's a watcher at her windows and no foreboding stranger would dare lurk around our windows with her at the helm.

Anyway, Nancy is in her early 80's (I believe) and she's lived in her paint-flaking house for over 40 years. She and her husband raised three children there, one still living at home at around 45 years of age (I know, I know.). Nancy's sweet husband passed away back in 2000--I remember because it happened while we were having our house sided and Nancy's son finally painted their peeling house a rather fluorescent blue, but his father saw it only in photos because by then he was laying in a hospital. 

I often mow Nancy's lawn for her because her son doesn't mind a jungle-like lawn. She says he's not a yard person.

Nancy amazes me because last autumn she and I stood in front of her house, talking for a half-hour (we'd not chatted in perhaps a year, yes--tsk, tsk) and while Nancy told her stories, my back began hurting as it does when I stand long in place. But Nancy seemed fine. She is 30+ years older than I am and probably could've chatted another hour about her grandkids, adult children and our neighbors.

And when I finally did take-off on my walk, I left inspired by this elderly woman's interest and involvement in Life--and by her ability to stand longer than I can!

But anyway, this will make you smile:

While out shoveling snow again today, I watched Nancy in her car, back out of her driveway. And then she did what she always does while pulling the car forward and into the street: She made the sign of the cross across her forehead and chest so she'll arrive safely wherever she travels.

I love that. And I love having a neighbor like Nancy.



******

No comments: