Monday, February 12, 2007

High School Meme


Okay, remember how I said I'd slowly share the Six Weird Things About Me meme because you probably couldn't handle it all at once? Well, this meme (stolen from Judy) will be the third weird thing about me (you'll see what I mean. Trust me.)

Year of graduation: 1977

1. Who was you best friend?

My wild and crazy friend, Tara A., who at that time went by Tammy. We were juniors together and she helped shake some of my fraidy-cat-like qualities from me, for which, all these 31 years later, I am still grateful.

2. What sports did you play?

(My first reaction to that question was, "Are you kidding? Me?") But then I remembered, in my senior year, I was a gymnast. I even won a gold medal, but only because a tiny school competed against our tiny school. A blessing, that day.

3. What kind of car did you drive?

Ha! I didn't get my driver's license until I was 24 (being the fraidy cat I mentioned above). Tammy, my wild and crazy friend (see #1) had just gotten her license, so I rode along with her while she practiced driving her stick-shift VW on the hills of Auburn, CA (scary times! But oh so fun.)

4. It's Friday night, where were you?

Hmmm. Most likely home reading a book or out with the church youth group at a fun event.

5. Were you a party animal?

Hahahahahahahahaha.

6. Where you in the "In Crowd"?

In the back, hiding.

7. Ever skip school?

Are you kidding? Miss Boring Goody Two Shoes?

8. Ever smoke?

Uh, no.

9. Were you a nerd?

Not even.

10. Did you get suspended/expelled?

(See #7)

11. Can you sing the alma mater song?

Well, I attended three high schools (count em' three!), but I don't recall any of them having an actual alma mater song. I can still recall a few cheers, though.

12. Who was your favorite teacher?

Mr. Peckham and Mr. Clarke (both who, these decades years later, I still write to occasionally.)

13. Favorite Class

English. Always, at any school, any year.

14. What was your school's full name?

Like I said, I went to three. Live Oak High School. Placer High School. Chester High School.

15. School Mascot?

Acorns. Hillmen. Volcanoes.

16. Did you go to the Prom?

Somehow I managed to get through high school without attending a single dance (I know, I know.). Though once, Tammy and I went to the cast party for The Music Man (in which we were cast as townspeople-- good times!) and there was dancing there. But we only stood and watched a few moments.

17. If you could go back and do it over, would you?

Oh my, noooo. I so love being an adult a million times more. The only way I'd even consider going back? If I could take my 47-year-old wisdom along with me. Then maybe I'd consider it. Maybe.

18. What do you remember most about graduation?

The way we all insisted that the ceremony be held outside in the football field-- and then how we watched the lightning that night off in the distance (fortunately, it never did rain). Oh, and how I wished I could be a senior a while longer. My senior year was my favorite.

19. Favorite memory of your senior year?

Being a teacher's aide to Mr. Clarke (my math teacher), and winning that gold medal I mentioned above.

20. Were you ever posted on the senior wall?

Honor roll-wise, yes. Popularity-wise, no.

21. Did you have a job your senior year?

Just lots of babysitting. Lots. Of. Babysitting.

22. Who did you date?

My senior year? No one, though I had a long-distance romance which began the summer before that and ended early in my senior year. His initials were S.M. I was too shy and too late in coming to that school my senior year. My freshman and sophomore years I had a boyfriend, initials T. R..

23. Where did you go most often for lunch?

Home, at least during my senior year. We lived only two blocks away. Other years it was always the cafeteria or, until Tammy rescued me, I did spend the first two weeks of my junior year eating alone on a (beautiful) hillside behind the school buildings overlooking the town. But soonish, Tammy changed all that--she was the leader of her crowd and she (literally) pulled me to their table, where I loved sitting for the remainder of the year.

24. Have you gained weight since then?

Uh, thirty years later? Hasn't everyone?!

25. What did you do after graduation?

I worked at my first real job as the night-time, closing janitor for the A&W restaurant just a few blocks from my home. I worked alone and actually used to walk home by myself after midnight (in a tiny town--it was safe). Ah, those were the days.

But like I said--I prefer my adult days!


******

No comments: