Sunday, December 31, 2006

Just Who's In Charge Here?




The sun is--finally-- shining through my (spotty) windows this morning! 

For too many mornings and long afternoons the sun hid behind clouds all November and December (it seems). I never remember such an endless stretch of grey, still, eerie days. 

So in the midst of all these I-can't-stand-it days, I've found myself having to keep my hands firmly on the reigns of my emotions, or else, they'll jump and swish! Fly off into the night all helter-skelter, careening into ditches on both sides of Life's Road.

I cringe when I speak of emotions and feelings here in my blog. Some people exclaim about their opinions' rights to be Kind, but not me. No, been there, done that years ago and now I'd rather follow wisdom, the Bible and God's still, small voice. 

I prefer the level path David spoke of in Psalms.

For those lead me to the best places in town, in my head, my heart. I mean, my changeable feelings whisper things like this:

"Now, you'd better stay home and not go driving anywhere. You might get in an accident."

"Ah, go ahead and eat that whole pie/cake/carton of ice cream/ huge bowl of spaghetti. You deserve it after what you've been through."

"After what that person said to you, you have every right to stay angry at them and to send them a mean note like the one they sent you."

Well, that list is endless, believe me.

No, I want to be the person who makes clear, precise decisions with her head and heart according to what is right, not according to how she just happens to feel at the moment. 

May wisdom from God move me. He's got a certain place where He wants to scoop at my Life's end, so hey! I want to be there. On time. At exactly that spot. 

So may I be moved by God, even on oh-so-grey days when I'm tempted to just wander around in emotions, searching for relief not found in Him.



******

No comments: