Thursday, February 09, 2006

Nothing Better To Do




I belong to one of the Internet's most old-fashioned groups. It's a Good Thing.

Some of us are mailing paper Valentines to each other and I worked on mine this afternoon while sitting upstairs in my dream room, listening to my record player.

My cats slept nearby on my bed and there was snow outside the windows and a pool of light on the table where I filled out my Valentines. I smiled because always, signing Valentine cards makes me feel 10-years-old again and reminds me of the delight of Valentine's Day parties (oh those cupcakes!) in warm elementary school rooms.

I find it sad that so many people hate Valentine's Day. I love it. 

I view it as Friendship Day and revel in it, heart-shaped confetti and all. And may I never blast and spoil such a sweet holiday and become sour,  Grinch-like about sharing a card and a grateful sentiment for the sake of friendship--on any day.

May I never let others' negativity win, spread and thrive. But instead, may I celebrate each holiday on my own terms (when I can) and keep them all with joy.

Personally, I never have anything better to do than let people know that God and I love them. Because after all, that's what always matters most, any and all days, indeed.


***

"When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people." ... Abraham Joshua Heschel

"The everyday kindness of the back roads more than makes up for the acts of greed in the headlines." ... Charles Kuralt

No comments: