Friday, February 17, 2006

My Adventurous Life




It's all one big adventure for me. My life, that is.

I mean, I watch adventure movies, but to me? The way I keep up with mopping the floors, washing all the clothes and dishes and paying the bills on time, cooking meals where everything is hot at once, exercising, running errands in the car when I'd rather stay home and trying to follow God's steps for me through it all, well, that's plenty of daily adventure for me.

And when I watch pro football or the Olympics and the sports announcers shout wildly into microphones, sounding as though a touchdown or a race won are similar to saving the world from blowing-up, well, it reminds me that whatever God asks me to do is just as important. With Him, there are no small things. He could ask me to make an encouraging phone call, but if I raced out at that moment and tried to feed the whole world instead, well, that would actually disobedience.

Obedience to God, always, is huge, even in what appears small in our eyes.

When those touchdowns are made or races won because of years of practice, faithfulness and persistence and going beyond ones own strength, well, when God wants me to be like that with my own simple blog? Then I, also, am involved in great adventure and reap rewards just as incredible. 

Yet my rewards arrive in quiet ways, with no applause or notice from others, only whisperings from God. But that's ok--His 'atta girl' was all I craved, anyway.

Yet still as I watch tv sports, Olympics and adventure movies I find all the parallels to my own simple life. The lessons I've learned and the struggles I've faced are similar.

And I consider how God provides an adventurous life for all of us, though many people search for others' adventures, never a custom fit and usually disappointing.

Most of my adventures happen within my heart and all the practice, sacrifices and hard work are done in a stadium where just One sits watching, cheering. The main One. The best One.

And that's fine with me. That's more adventure than I can handle on any average day.


***

"Adventure is not outside man; it is within." ... David Grayson

"Do you not know that in a race all the runners compete, but [only] one receives the prize? So run [your race] that you may lay hold [of the prize] and make it yours." ... 1 Corinthians 9:24

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. To keep our faces toward change and behave like free spirits in the presence of fate is strength undefeatable.” ... Helen Keller

No comments: