Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Keeping The Well Full


This morning I was reading from Simple Abundance and saw this:

"Rupert Brooke...spoke of those who could 'store up reservoirs of calm and content... and draw on them at later moments when the source isn't there but the need is very great.'"

I liked that.

It answered a question for me. I've wondered this past year, especially, why some Christians totally lose it.... self-destruct... crumble to oblivion when they face tragedies or other difficult times. Yet other Christians, after a period of initial grief, move forward in grace and strength which inspires.

Perhaps the latter had been filling their wells on average days. Perhaps they'd earlier learned to draw from those wells the love and contentment and joy and peace which only God can give. And perhaps when the hard times come, out of habit and practice--out of wells well-watered--they were able to draw from all the extra water awaiting them there.

I like that explanation. I like knowing that my daily times with Him not only provide what I need for today, but are storing up what I will need for tomorrow.

And it will be more than enough, just as He is more than enough on normal days, so much so, that no day when lived with Him is normal or average at all.

No comments: