Sunday, July 31, 2005

Homemaking College




You probably didn't know I go to Homemaking College.


Well, I do.


Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday afternoon. Or sometimes Tuesdays and Thursdays. Class times are up to me and can be held according to my own schedule.


That's the kind of freedom I have at Homemaking College.


The college is located in a really cool part of town. It's in my Dream Room.


We study from books which are never dull. Currently we're reading Mary Jane's Ideabook, Cookbook and Lifebook. It's a winner with the whole class, one of the best books from which we've ever studied. Someday I will live in the country and this book will help me be prepared for that.


We're learning 1940's-style decorating, too. We get to watch films in this class and are currently taking notes from the old Blondie and Dagwood movies. Our final exam will be to, on paper and in real-life, design and furnish a two-story home with a modern 1940's look.


I plan on getting an A on that final.


Another current text book is Laurie Colwin's Home Cooking. It's full of cooking stories from Laurie's early life and recipes, too. Cooking finals aren't my favorite, but they're good for me to complete anyway and they're fun to share with my husband.


We've covered childcare, classic adult and juvenile literature, gardening, economics, graphic design, nutrition, time management and creative writing. For the record, I'm majoring in decorating and minoring in homecare and home organization. But in case that's not your thing, I won't bore you with more details.


Homemaking College isn't for everyone. The entrance requirements are stiff.


You have to be creative.
You have to be self-motivated.
You have to be disciplined.
You can't be all concerned with degrees you can hold in your hand. You can't be in love with money.


You must have an imagination.


And nowadays, you must have guts to believe in what you're doing so that you're not swayed by the crowds who lie and tell you that you are trapped, stupid or lazy.


You have to be brave.


Like I said, the requirements are stiff. Not many people make it in.
Even fewer people see it through to graduation



******

No comments: