Thursday, July 21, 2005

One Day At A Time




I spent too much of my life feeling overwhelmed, fearing that, because I didn't have the ability to do huge, important things, I could accomplish nothing lasting. But that greatly changed when I learned about One Day At A Time Philosophy.

There are 365 days in a year. If I round that off to 350 days , here are some figures I will get if I apply One Day At A Time Philosophy:

If I make one simple improvement to my house each day, in one year I will have made 350 improvements. Changes can be anything from hanging a picture, painting a door, dying a load of dish towels, rearranging my living room or cleaning out a closet(or drawer). And if I make two small changes each day, by the year's end I'll have made 700 changes in my home (!)

If I read and meditate upon one Bible verse each day, in one year I will have meditated upon 350 Bible verses. I don't know about you, but I have a hard time consciously meditating upon two Bible chapters and a Psalm and a Proverb--intricately and thoroughly--all day to where all those verses change me forever. I can handle one verse, though, and let it sink in deep.

If I do one small act of kindness each day for either friends and/or strangers, by the year's end I will have done 350 acts of kindness for others. Three-hundred and fifty!

And so on.

And of course, I'm not just talking about numbers for the sake of numbers so that I can pat myself on the back. But rather, so much of our life is out of our control (face it, it is), and yet each day I can still make choices, simple things which add up into the thousands over years and Time.

In other words, I am not as helpless as I sometimes whine that I am.

One day at a time, one thing at a time. There's nothing overwhelming in that at all.



******

"Inch by inch, anything's a cinch." ... Robert Schuller

No comments: