Friday, July 22, 2005

The Pels Among Us




This morning I'm rereading the book by P.L. Travers called, I Go By Sea, I Go By Land. A highly re-readable book indeed... probably my fourth time to read it.

I read this passage and knew I had to share it with you:

"Pel is our Family Friend. She writes books...She makes you laugh and dance inside yourself and at the same time you feel that she is somebody who will always be there and that is a very safe feeling."

I think we need more Pels among us. We need more Christians who make us laugh and dance inside. I find so few and I read so many serious blogs--wordy, critical, stuffy-choking Christian blogs. After awhile, they make me hang my head. They do not make me dance.

Oh, I'm not saying that everyone should go around pretending to have joy if they do not yet have joy. After all, you can't pretend to be a real-life Pel. You either are one or you're not.

I am saying though, that I wish I knew more Christians who have really been set free. Ones with so much real joy that they can't help but spill it over in showering drops. 

People built stronger than the Titanic--ones who don't sink after running into just one iceberg.

I wish I knew more Pels. People who are free, ones who have learned to stay free--and to share their freedom.

People who are fun to be with, ones who laugh, dance inside and out, shaking-up the joy like shaking-up a bottle of 7-Up and swoosh! Spraying it upon the hopeless wherever they go.



******

"So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed." ... John 8:36