Tuesday, December 06, 2016

Again. It's Happening Again.




So remember how I've incessantly whined told you they're cruelly chopping down our trees 'round here? Well, this morning they began destroying another one.

!*&%^$#@

I stood at our window awhile watching the murder, steam swirling from my ears (these trees are huge), then thought, "Perhaps there's something online explaining why the heck this keeps happening."

There was. The dreaded ash borer beetle is wreaking havoc on our ash trees and--lest they spread their evil ways more rampantly--the wood from infected trees is being carted far away. Or burned. Or whatever. 

Oh. Did not know that.

Turns out our city leaders are not in cahoots to make me (and other tree adorers) miserable after all.   

Perspective. Today I find my perspective on this tree situation, changing. I get it. We're all resenting these insects intent upon chewing-up our tree-lined city and there's no, "Let's just destroy a bunch of trees cuz we want to," happening.

And, well, speaking of perspective... 

Last week while lying awake one night mulling over 2016's increasing chaos, this came to me:

You can't argue people out of their deception. Only God can set them free. So what's left is that you pray-- humbly--lest you, too, become deceived in a pride which whispers, "This could never happen to me."

That's about the time Earth tilted on its axis, I recalled some long ago sermons and my point of view toward folks was forever tweaked (for the better).

Anyway, just thought I'd throw that out there if anyone needs it. And you won't even require a sleepless night for it to come to you.

You're welcome.   :)






                   “Trees are poems that the earth writes upon the sky.” 
― Kahlil GibranSand and Foam




******


"So, if you think you are standing firm, be careful that you don't fall!"   ... 1 Corinthians 10:12


"Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing."'   ... Luke 23:34



******




So I'd not ever heard of Florence Foster Jenkins until this morning when I watched a recent episode of Mysteries at the Museum and oh! What an interesting, eccentric lady. My favorite kind.

No wonder they made a movie about her with the always-wonderful Meryl Streep. 

Watch an interesting interview with scenes from the movie (which I simply must see someday) here.


******


2 comments:

Betsy said...

Well it's quite a relief to know why they're tearing down your trees isn't it? And very good advice. Prayer is always the best answer. Blessings always, Betsy

Pam said...

I am glad to hear your community is proactive in ultimately saving as many trees as possible, but that doesn't lessen the loss all of you will experience. I certainly hope they plant new trees for all of you to enjoy.