Friday, July 01, 2016

The Funny Ways God Helps



Lots of people think God works only in certain ways and you must use formulas/methods/begging. Uh, that's not what I've found. At all.



I reread this yesterday and re-got the message: Lighten up, Debra! Not everything is a big, hairy deal. Be yourself--your God-changed, happy self. Be silly sometimes and have some fun, for goodness sake.



Then this morning Nicole reminded that whatever I need to do, I can do it. I'm stronger than I think (as are you). Just be brave and start and the things I can't do? I can ask for help. I can.





Remember my maybe-I-should-check-into-a-motel-a-couple-days idea? Tom and I live in a land of motels and as I read their online reviews/complaint lists yesterday, I recalled this: there's no place like home. 

Heh. 

There is, though, an adorable-looking motel I'm still considering, one within walking distance of our Salvation Army where I could leisurely shop for clothes and books and maybe even visit our 1940's movie theater.

Stay tuned to see if I actually take the plunge.




For weeks our kitchen sink and bathtub drained oh-so s-l-o-w-l-y and inside my head I kept hearing, "Just call the plumber." But I procrastinated. Just didn't want to deal with it, even though all this did keep me awake at times and I, also, kept pouring baking soda, vinegar and steaming water down there with all my lollipop hopes.  :)

Finally the kitchen sink absolutely stopped draining and I asked Tom to go ahead and call and only moments ago the super-nice plumber left and the drains are dreamy-clear.

Note to self: knock-off the procrastination. You know this already. Sheesh.





And ruts! God's been reminding me to crawl out of my well-worn ruts, things once anointed and perfect for me. It's time to find the new places where Grace stands. Waiting.

New, new, new. I keep hearing that word and these verses, "Behold I'm doing a new thing" and "...so we also should walk in newness of life." (Romans 6:4)


Well, you get the idea. There's one thing I know about God: if you really want to hear what He says, even the hard-to-take-truth about yourself, He will find ways to tell you.

But we must be open to hearing all of it and keep our eyes open, as well, to seeing the truth in the oddest places.



******

God will tell you the truth. Oh boy, will He ever tell you. But we must want to hear it.


And in case you missed it--I added this, late, to my last post: 


Don’t fall into the trap of being negative, complacent, or just taking whatever life brings your way. Set the tone for victory, for success, for new levels. Enlarge your vision. Make room for God to do something new in your life today! ... Joel Osteen


(It's just what I needed to hear.)


******

The next book up around here?




Yes, again.



Thanks so much for your prayers and encouragement! They are working, so keep it up. Please.  :)


******

I guess procrastinators can be happy. It's just a lot harder for them, what with all that extra head weight.


******


Maybe I'll search for my dvd of The Snake Pit since today is Olivia de Havilland's 100th birthday (!)


******

2 comments:

Susan Humeston said...

Wonderful - you inspire me!!

Pam said...

Thanks for being so honest, Debra. All of us have moments (hours, days, weeks, months) of struggle. I've been dealing with some dread as I face another day of chemo this Wednesday. I need to remember how God continues to go with me--through every single day, and takes such good care of me. Hope you have a great weekend!