Thursday, September 10, 2015

Can't Let Go? Uh-oh.


"...  let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us..."   Hebrews 12:1


******


Seriously, I love Facebook. The reunions, the encouragement, the prayer requests, the Bible teachings and the goofy cartoons I can't help but share.

Yet what grieves me there? My Christian friends and relatives who allow the political and just plain bad news to sour them and turn them into old bitter, sarcastic Scrooges.

It's especially disheartening when these people are only, like, 25 or 30. Or older, of course. Any year we're given is too precious to hand over to The Ugly Side.

Come on, People. Let it go.

Daily we must release anything that keeps us from seeking to know God with all our heart. God wants us to become so close to Him that we begin thinking like He does and is He becoming an old bitter, sarcastic Scrooge?

I think not.

Each day, instead, we're told to meditate upon whatever is:


 "... true, noble, right, pure,  lovely, admirable, excellent and praiseworthy..."


... and to love and pray for everyone, enemies included. Also, to use words sparingly and wisely, keeping in mind that our words reflect what our heart's most full of. Words are our 'tell.'


So again, let it go. Move on into Real Life With God. Everything looks differently over there and we're each given such a short time in which to see it all and to do what we were meant to.







                                   "For the mouth speaks what the heart is full of."   ... Luke 6:45



"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you..."  ... Ephesians 4:31



******







As of last week, Tom and I have lived at Hobbit Cottage for 4 years. Can you believe that? 

I read over posts from the early days and yikes! Trouble City. Tom had heat exhaustion for 2 weeks and no job for the next 7 months. For weeks we had no refrigerator, our milkman couldn't get anything right, our savings dwindled and our bank account got deleted(!) Naomi gave us her cat, Sammy, then she moved to Nashville and Sammy and Daniel fought and had to be kept separated. Daniel almost died. Twice.

Good times. heh.

No, but those are the kind of times that 'try men's souls' and--if you're not plugged into God, can make you doubt and wonder if you took a wrong turn somewhere. 

Fortunately, though, I kept listening to God rather than Doubt (most days, anyway). And peace remained in my deepest parts while some days, my world shook like a jack hammer. 

Peace and Truth will always rise to the top when we're willing to keep doing the right thing--not wavering, not resenting--but trusting and believing that all will be well, in time, because God is wise and good.

He does not lead us into dark, boggy ditches.











******

Oh, and Georgene asked which of the Kindle prepper books I've found most helpful.

My favorite so far has been this set of four books which sold for only .99 cents when I bought them, but have gone to 3.99, though if you have Kindle Unlimited, they're free. These have tons of specific details. Love that.

Another favorite book is Urban Prepper Guide. It was free when I found it, but is now 2.99.

But again, here's a list of other prepper books for kindle, some are free for those of us without Kindle Unlimited, others are not. I would just keep looking at peoples' comments about the books and also sending for the free previews (look to the right of each book's page) to help decide which books would best answer your questions.







*****

What's Cooking in My Crockpot today? Nothing.  :) We'll probably have leftovers from the past few days.

But yesterday I made tamale pie.


******


Free Kindle Books:


Snow Sometimes Falls

To Be Free

The Mulligans of Mt. Jefferson

Get Super Focused

A Heart Renewed


4 comments:

Terra said...

Tamale pie sounds good. I enjoy Facebook and Philippians 4:8 is a favorite scripture for me too. Mostly I share light things there.

Elizabeth said...

Wow it does not seem like 4 years! Time does go quickly! I like to keep things on the light side on Facebook as well as blogger. I want them to be pleasant places to visit. There is enough negative things out there. As always loving your post!

Pam said...

Deb, I so appreciate your stable, positive attitude! You and Tom have weathered some tough storms, and you continued to believe everything had a purpose and would work out (eventually). I'm happy for you!

Debra said...

Terra-- we've been having tamale pie once a week lately after ages of not having it. It's good to have it back! :) Glad you also enjoy Facebook...

Elizabeth--thank-you! And yes, the four years have flown by, probably because I've been having fun here. :) Glad you also enjoy Facebook--I think we get out of it what we put into it. If we put in the good stuff, we'll reap more good stuff.

Pam--thanks! I looked back over that list of things that went wrong and saw that at least half of those things could have been avoided had we used wisdom. I so love wisdom and the way it improves our quality of life! May we seek it more and more...


Thanks so much, Ladies! ... Blessings, Debra