Monday, August 03, 2015

Someone For You To Meet


So because I ate some little Chinese pinwheel-and-cream-cheese things on Saturday, my poor ol' head exploded on Sunday.

Well, almost. 

Even though I tried all my sinus-relief tricks which usually work fast, I still spent most of the day in bed watching old videos of Early Edition and trying not to meditate upon the unfairness of not being able to handle dry air and cream cheese together. &*^%$

But today, hooray! Gratefully, I feel 90% better. Whew.

So while I return to housework (you know how it goes--miss 1 day and spend 2 catching up), I'll send you here to meet Grandma Gatewood. I'd never heard of her before this morning, but wow. Already she's inspired me to stop being such a Lazy Maizy and return to walking. And more.

Via Kindle, I took a peek into the new book written about her and am intrigued and tempted to buy. (I've got leftover gift card dollars, after all.) If you have a Kindle, you, also, can click on the 'send a free sample' button (on the right of that page in my link) and see what I mean. 

Always, people who find joy in faithfully doing what they were called to do, delight me. And even years after they leave us, their stories illustrate that there are other better and brighter ways to live, a less-traveled trail to follow, something we tend to forget in Today's distracting, hectic world.











******


“Every day is important for us because it is a day ordained by God. If we are bored with life there is something wrong with our concept of God and His involvement in our daily lives. Even the most dull and tedious days of our lives are ordained by God and ought to be used by us to glorify Him.” 
― Jerry BridgesTrusting God: Even When Life Hurts





Free Kindle Books:



Called Home

Rebekah's Treasure


7 comments:

Tracy said...

A very inspiring story! I just read on FB about a 90 year old Harley riding grandma!!

Unknown said...

I'm so glad you found Grandma Gatewood! I'm sure she'd love it that she inspired you to walk more.

To bring you up-to-date on our project to document her life, our documentary opened on May 29 and played to two sold-out audiences. You can find pictures and comments about the event at http://edenvalleyenterprises.org/progdesc/gatewood/tm052015so.htm

We've also had two showings to other groups since then and we are working on getting it to PBS (hopefully for a broadcast next year). In the meantime, we're happy to bring the storytelling program, play or the film to any group who'd like to host it. You can find when we'll be showing it next at http://edenvalleyenterprises.org/calendar.htm

Good luck on all your hikes!

Bonnie said...

Truer words were never spoken: "I wouldn't have started this trip if I'd know it was going to be this tough". That's her admission that made me smile. How many of us would say the same thing about something else we've experienced. So interesting. She must have been a tiny thing because with all that toughness she had in her I'm surprised she never figured out how to overcome the abuser husband. I'm sure women had ways back then under such awful duress. Thanks, Debra. Interesting. And she hiked it 3 times! She was really made of something different than most of us.

Debra said...

Tracy--isn't it wonderful when the elderly show us that becoming older isn't a thing to be feared? I'm nearly finished with the Grandma Gatewood book and am soo inspired!

Emma-thanks so much for stopping by! How wonderful to be related to such a special woman. Thanks for all the updates, as well. I'll be sure to check them out.

Bonnie--I'm nearly finished with the book and Grandma Gatewood has inspired my socks off with her determination to do all that hiking no matter what the weather or terrain. If she could do all that, then I can do what needs to be done around my house certainly. :)


Thanks, Ladies! Blessings, Debra

Unknown said...

Debra, I'm glad you are inspired by Grandma Gatewood, but to be clear, I am NOT related to her. In fact that e-mail is Eden Valley's company e-mail for the Grandma Gatewood project. I am Bette Lou Higgins, the Artistic Director. I did not realize that this software was going to publish the comment under the name of the e-mail. I apologize for any confusion.

However, I must say that in the six years since we've been working to document Emma's life, I've spent a lot of time talking to her relatives including some children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren. They have been so supportive of the project by sharing information with us. In fact last year, I got to go to their family reunion and meet a whole lot of relatives! What fun and what a great group.

It's definitely been a privilege to tell Emma's story and be accepted by her family!

Bette Lou

Debra said...

Oh Bette Lou! Well, I still think you are special to do so much for Grandma Gatewood's legacy. :) Thank-you for all you do and how wonderful to have attended the family reunion! Blessings, Debra

Unknown said...

Thanks, Debra! Keep hiking your own Trail!

BL