Wednesday, May 14, 2014

An Incredible Life. Anyway.


“I don't fit into any stereotypes. And I like myself that way.” 
― C. JoyBell C.

*****

So yesterday it was the 4 o'clock afternoon hour, the time when I'm usually quoting Bible verses just to keep dragging myself around the kitchen, well, unless it's Saturday, the day when I do pretty much nothing and feel fine at 4:00. 

Anyway, I got to thinking about those elderly ladies with canes or in wheelchairs (and who, you're not sure, might have a gun under their pillow) who declare, "Just let someone try to remove me from my house and take me to an old folks' home! They'll never get me out the door!" 

And I thought, "Silly ladies. Right now those old folks homes sound heavenly to me. No more mowing the lawn! Someone else would do my laundry! Meals prepared for me!"

Yep, the old folks home. That's the life for me.  :)

I think we learn most things 'in layers', but especially this: 

Seasons matter. And my life doesn't have to look like anyone else's.

I can have an incredible life without ever having 2.7 children or 4.2 grandchildren or if I never see France/Italy/Hawaii. Or if never live in a classy neighborhood or have a real job, a college degree or a swimming pool, the latest clothes (or hairstyle) or central air-conditioning. Or a dog, a vintage car, three bedrooms, lots of money or a beautiful yard.

My life just needs to be the way oh-so-creative God planned it. I need to stay pliable, grow, and respond to His voice in the midst of each new season of change. If I want to live free, authentically

What I must do is make the choices God nudges me to and then live within those choices with joy, being a light to a sad, dark world. And oh, how many different ways there are to do that!






*****


"It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery."   ... Galations 5:1


*****


Twinges of jealousy show us how far we have yet to go in accepting our own uniqueness.

*****


"Be what you is, cuz if you be what you ain't, then you ain't what you is."   ... copied


*****



Free (as of today):

 When I Married My Mother: A Daughter's Search For What Really Matters--And How She Found it Caring For Mama Jo

Freezer Meals: Quick and Easy Money-Saving Recipes


2 comments:

terricheney said...

Oh Debra dear, always on the mark with your messages. I was struggling earlier this week. And then I started letting God show me how to be more creative to get what I wanted here at home.

Anonymous said...

Heh, you and me both!! Daughter's house we are fixing is next to an adult living home (a real house...HUGE one, but a house)...and it looks rather good some days, and oh the cooking smells...those Ethiopian people, or from some such place, who run it must be excellent cooks!! We are so bone weary. I kind of like to paint...but you know I am getting tired of it. Decided I do not want to take it up as a 2nd job...this ole body is not cooperating well these days!! I cannot complain however...gimpy leg actually not too painful today!! YEA!!
Elizabeth in WA