Saturday, November 09, 2013

Happy As Kings?


"You have enlarged the nation and increased their joy; they rejoice before you as people rejoice at the harvest..."   ... Isaiah 9:3

*****

When we bought Hobbit Cottage, the previous owner pointed to the square of Scotch tape on one of four identical keys, saying that marked the back door key. And so, while juggling my purse and groceries bags at the door, I'd search through all my keys for that nearly invisible piece of tape before inserting it into the lock.

For two whole years, in all varieties of weather, I'd struggle to glimpse that teeny piece of tape. Good grief.

But then came my personal campaign to Fix Things Which Bother Me and I got out a chunky black permanent marker and scribbled all over that key. And now, all easy-peasy, I speedily unlock our door.

I highly recommend becoming a pro-active person. Or at least, pretending you're one for a couple months.

Then yesterday I ironed four extra curtain panels I'd ordered so to give the new mustard ones a fuller look. As you might recall, it took me two years to replace the old curtains I'd disliked in our living room. But when I moved those curtains to both our office and the basement doorway? They looked wonderful there. Hmm.

Probably for 30 years, I've dreamed of owning a bedroom with a fireplace (don't we all?) and cozily viewing flames while sitting in bed.  But not until last week did I finally move our adorable electric wood stove to a place I could actually see it from my bed. And now I have a version of a dream come true.


(I'll be painting the cords a light, blend-in color soon.)

Oh, and this week I finally painted our kitchen dresser, green. I'd been meaning to do that for--you guessed it--years.

These (and more) simple sorts of activities fill my autumn days and you know? Often these words weave themselves into my head:

“The world is so full of a number of things,
I’m sure we should all be as happy as kings.”  ... R.L. Stevenson


What I've learned? When I keep my head stuffed with positive, lovely thoughts, they use-up all the space in there, squeezing out thoughts of lack, unforgiveness or unfairness. Because really? With all God's given each of us, we should be even happier than Kings. 

We've been given much, much more.


************

"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope.   ... Romans 15:13


Oh, the wonder possible from our own windows! A Buffalo sunrise this past week.




And here's something fun from a nearby town (scroll down for the little film) for you, my kindred spirits. All that antique and painted furniture--be still, my heart!   (aww..... the sale is over so the video is gone. Tom and I were glad we visited this little home while we had the chance.)


.... and yesterday Tom and I discovered another fun science fiction tv series by way of Netflix-- The 4400. We've just watched three episodes so far so--if it later became something unsavory--well, don't tell me. heh.

2 comments:

Terra said...

Like you I am sometimes slow to make an improvement in our home and then when I do I am thrilled. Your fireplace in your bedroom is a great change.

Anonymous said...

Nice to hear you fixed some botherations and painted some pretty things...projects...whoever runs out of them...I certainly probably never will. Itching to get to some of mine...soon I hope.
Elizabeth