Saturday, July 06, 2013

Thinking About What I'm Thinking About


                
"... whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things."   ... Philippians 4:8

******
So! Was this photo taken in a remote, jungle-like setting? Nah, I snapped it this morning from my own front porch. Oh, the hundreds of dilapidated, days-gone-by houses amongst all those trees! But I see only the beauty of a sunrise.

The week before last on a cloudy morning, I puttered in my new garden space when suddenly! A loud, curse-word-flying argument erupted on our corner amongst, actually, one of our favorite, most helpful neighbors (not Robin and Paul in the green house next door) and his ex-wife and let's just say it eventually involved two patrol cars, two cops and two crying women filling out reports on the car trunks and our neighbor being led away in handcuffs...

... and me inside my house, at the big window, praying for all these people and feeling shaken and sad for them. But later our neighbor returned, he and his wife grilled meat on the barbeque as always and the usual order of things returned. And at that same window, I smiled.

But all along, in the midst of battle, even, Hobbit Cottage felt like a peaceful gardened fortress in the center of a stressed-out, out-of-control 21st century world, for Grace and God live here, too, making our home a sanctuary, a respite place of calm.

That is how it feels, that's how I choose to see it. You know, that only what I allow to live upon our corner will live here and what I concentrate upon most will shine brightest. The good things I meditate upon will fill even the corners, creating a perimeter (of angels maybe?) along this tired, old corner lot.

And all will continue to be well here, inside that border of peace, even if the world beyond should swirl and swirl in turmoil...

... for greater is He who is within me, and within this Hobbit Cottage place, than he is who within the world.




********

Our 4th of July! A delight with our friend Donna--a garden walk around our yard, wonderful conversation and Chinese food ordered in (since the humidity was too wild to go to the outdoor place I'd told you about). 

Then later Tom and I went to see White House Down which we both greatly enjoyed--yet--I cannot recommend it to you, exactly, since the language and violence were a bit more intense than we usually tolerate, even though it was PG-13. But again, we enjoyed it much (oh, the suspense! Hope it didn't shorten my lifespan...heh...) and the sun came out around 1:00, even. And I hope your day was wonderful, as well.

********

"...no harm will overtake you,
    no disaster will come near your tent.
11 For he will command his angels concerning you
    to guard you in all your ways"   ... Psalm 91:10,11







1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As I have mentioned before our neighborhood is not the nicest place to live. Yet I feel like you that my home is my fortress. That is too the way I like to see and feel it. My husband though cannot understand this thought pattern. Hopefully he will come to find more daily peace here. I have been home here through the years while he has been away at work.
It is better to stop and pray than judge ever. Lets face it, I am not perfect in any way either. I have learned to tune out things and not let visual things upset me. He has to learn that yet. Being home 24/7 is new to him. I concentrate on the good things as there are Always many good things. That is too the way I choose to see and feel things. He also does not know God and feel that peace either. I have to remember that and keep trying to be a good example. Life can be that half full glass...is it half full or half empty?....you are right,...we choose. Sarah