Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Forgiveness, Anyone?

"But if you do not forgive, your Father in heaven will not forgive your sins."  ... Mark 11:26

*****

Just some questions today.

Have you forgiven and extended mercy toward...

... that cruel kid in high school who called you a bad name?
... the parent or sibling who treated you unfairly?
... the twist of fate which kept you from attending college?
... that ex-boyfriend or spouse?
... those friends who are your friends no more?
... the son or daughter who did what you would never do?
... your neighbors who've let their house fall apart, decreasing your property values?
... those people who drive past your house with their stereos blaring, thumping?
... the loan company that lied to you?
... those politicians who (seemingly) messed-up life for all of us?
... the stores and restaurants with too-high prices?
... that church member who unfairly got upset with you?
... the storm which damaged your house?
... the guy who knowingly sold you a 'lemon' car?
... that person who left you that unkind Facebook or blog comment?
... the tv evangelist who said or did things you disagree with?
... that stranger who dinged your car?
... the way tv isn't like it used to be?
... the film makers who too seldom make good movies anymore?
... the friends who didn't invite you to their home after inviting everyone else?
... the murderers in the news?
... the way God let your best friend die?
... the way city streets are often unsafe?
... the path your life took?
... the way Times have changed?


Just asking. Just wondering, myself, who I've still yet not forgiven, for forgiveness is vital. That is, if I wish to stay healthy, happy and free. If I wish to be forgiven, myself.

And I do.


*******

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you."  ... Ephesians 4:31-32


*******

Oh! This afternoon I began reading an interesting book on my kindle cloud reader. It's called Poverty Sucks: How to Become a Self-Made Millionaire. Lots of practical advice there and oh my, talk about forgiveness--there are lots of people in this woman's early life who certainly needed forgiving. Good gracious. But anyway, if you'd like to check it out, this ebook is still free as of today. 

*******

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The hardest people I have problems with forgiving are one neighbor who to the community are known all over as good Christians. That is even part of their businesses advertising. To be a neighbor to them though is hard because they act otherwise. And continue to do so. I never say a thing to others who have even said they would like to have them as neighbors. They say we are so lucky to have them. I try to stay away from them but since we have to see them often and deal daily with many of the problems they created it is hard to keep them out of our minds. They live next door. I try to keep a prayerful attitude when I am out and about as I have to see their property from about any angle of mine. I put up flowering bushes in one area to help with the view. They said they loved them so I know the bushes are ok to them. I almost feel out of ways to keep peace in my mind. I do pray for their welfare , children and such. I do try. Any ideas? Sarah

Debra said...

Hi Sarah... The only thing I can think of? (But you probably won't like it... nobody ever does...heh...). I would keep asking God, "What do you want to change in me? What isn't pleasing to you about me?" I'd start there, do what He says, spend much time with Him and listen to wonderful, convicting teaching.

And then after some time, I'd ask Him, "How can I better love my neighbors? What kind and thoughtful things can I do for them?"

See, I told you you wouldn't like it...smile... But that's the kind of stuff which has changed my life, this asking God to change me rather than other people. And the funny thing? After He starts changing me, I nearly always see Him making changes in others. Really, really weird, but interesting. :)

Blessings, Debra

Anonymous said...

I have been doing this. It naturally changes me and it has but it is a continuing process of course that needs ongoing prayer and communication with Him. I guess I hope for a complete answer sooner than His time. Or some change in the general situation. I want it Now not wanting to waiting another 30 years. I need to remember He is in charge..not me. It is His schedule. It is a process I alone am on here as no others in the family who are affected by all of this know Him. I have to realize how they view the world too is not how I should/do view it as reflected by His model. That actually is part of what upsets me as this family represents how a Christian lives their life to my family who does not believe. These people but their beliefs out front in all they say yet it is not how my family sees them act. I sure do appreciate your guidance. Sarah