Thursday, May 25, 2006

The Dwindling Scope of Imagination


I read that the average 40-year-old has just 2% of the average 5-year-old's imagination. Or another way of saying that is, by the time you reach 40, you've lost nearly all the imagination you once had as a child.

Probably, that is one of the saddest statistics I've ever read. But it's one I believe to be true.

Our dwindling imagination shows when we always drive the same roads to work or to the supermarket...

... when we eat the same ol' meals at the same ol' places...

... when we never rearrange our furniture or our schedule...

... when we believe the same ol' things about the same ol' people, places and principles...

... when we become suspicious of new ideas.

And here's one I've been thinking about since yesterday... since I visited a favorite blog and was profoundly disappointed that the author had resorted to the ever-popular game of criticizing a mega-church pastor by name (and the comment box was filled with nodders in agreement):

... we show our lack of imagination when we criticize teachers, preachers and evangelists who approach things differently than we would... or our denomination would... or our own pastor would. Because when we make comparisons and others don't make our grade, we've shown that we've totally disregarded, totally forgotten, these verses:

"There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit. There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord. There are different kinds of working, but the same God works all of them in all men....The eye cannot say to the hand, "I don't need you!" And the head cannot say to the feet, "I don't need you!" ... 1 Corinthians 12:4-6, 21

It shows a sad, sad lack of imagination to believe that only those who speak as I do, share as I do, believe as I do--only they are, truly, helping people. And how sad to, in reality, be lecturing God, "You messed up when you gave ______ that gift. He/she is not sharing it the way I believe he/she should."

Oh, we are so clueless to the plans God has for other people! Most of our days we don't even understand His plans for our own life... so why do we pick apart those brave souls who are 'out there' actually using their gifts?

If I ever illustrate that kind of imagination-barreness in this blog, please leave me a note (a kind one, I hope) in my comment box.

I like to believe that in Heaven, comparisons are unheard of. Unimagined. I like to dream that, instead, statements of appreciation are made for each person's gifts and talents which came from God's hand... that the specific necessity of each individual is seen as clearly as the brightest light and God is thanked for creating us all so uniquely...

... that we are seen, recognized, appreciated and valued.

Oh, for a little bit of Heaven here on Earth... and here in our blogs.


***
"A man's steps are directed by the Lord.
How then can anyone understand his own way?" ... Proverbs 20:24

No comments: