Friday, June 10, 2005

Legalism or Obedience--Which Is It?


Right-off-the-bat disclaimer: This is so not the last word on legalism. This is just as I see it.

Over the years, I've felt that God has asked me not to:
Swear,
Drink alcohol,
Watch 98% of R-rated movies,
Drive over the speed limit.

And I've felt He's asked me to:

Tithe,
Submit to my husband,
Live excellently out in public,
Live excellently in my home.

For me, that's all basic obedience.
Other people (not you, of course...heh, heh...) just might label it as legalism.

But here's where my basic obedience would become legalism: If I were to race around playing Holy Ghost Junior and I told you that you must:

Not swear,
Not drink alcohol,
Not watch R-rated movies, etc., on down the line.

Just because God has instructed me to do/not do those things, it does not mean that He's told you the same thing. Maybe He will tell you later and then it will be your responsibility to obey. But if God asks me to do something, it does not give me a license to insist that you do the same thing.

For one thing, when God instructs me to change, He sends Grace along to help me change. When I instruct you to change, I cannot give you Grace--so I am only giving you a burden. Something you are incapable of handling on your own.

Of course, God could speak through me as confirmation of something He's been trying to tell you already. That would be an act of obedience on my part. That's something different. But that's something which should only be done in utter humility and it probably wouldn't hurt me to have a bit of fear and trembling to go along with it.

But here is what becomes another big problem-- When, because God hasn't told you to do the above types of things, you assume He hasn't told me, either. And you then boisterously stand up and cry, "Legalism!" That is just as wrong as my trying to shove my God-led obedience down your throat.

Again, this is how I see it.

I think the Bible gives great advice when it tells us to let our words be few.

Maybe if we all just plain lived what we believed, instead of just arguing, er, talking about it-- maybe this world would be a kinder place... Especially if we could give people room--and time-- to grow. Especially if we could trust God to speak to others--and if we could trust others to listen for themselves.

***

No comments: