Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Housework Philosophy 101



Wow, I've read that some folks actually hate housework. Oh dear. What housework haters miss!

Our homes are canvasses for expressing our inner selves. Others glimpse our quirky sense of drama, playfulness or love of color when they step into our doors so why despise keeping orderly the world we create? 

Caring for that hardwood flooring for which we prayed can be smile-inducing. The double sinks we had installed, the new gas stove, the kitchen island we dreamed about--cleaning with a grateful heart keeps that initial joy we felt when these items (finally) arrived.

And yes, when we own beautiful things it's easier to happily care for them. Yet if I have mostly old? Perhaps by keeping my brass-rimmed glass coffee table clean, God will then know I'd act responsibly with the distressed aqua wood one I'd much prefer. 

It's those annoying little foxes which spoil the vine. It's my who'll-even-notice-the-dirt? ways that make God wonder whether He should trust me with something newer, better.

If I see my home's items as coming from Him, I'll willingly, gratefully care for them. Right?

Housework, yes, can be a burden if our attitude says so. Or it can mean providing a clean environment for my family, a gift I can daily give them (even if, ok, they seem barely to notice). But God sees--and blesses, rewards.

Hey, I can even pray for them while pushing around a vacuum or dusting. Also, if I avoid the martyr thoughts, I'm free to dream all sorts of wonders while wiping down counter tops or sweeping the kitchen.
Go bringing my creative mind to mindless tasks and who knows what will happen?


I can play my favorite music while cleaning--loud if I wish (and if I'm alone). Or have you ever tried watching a live tv show and jumping up during the commercials to do housework? Gee, I accomplish much from my To Do List that way.

I think it's the lies we hear which trip us up. The ones which exclaim, "It's all menial. Anyone can clean a house--just hire out for that. With your talents? You have better things to do."

Yet it all matters. Everything we do 'as unto the Lord' is important today--and--will mean much some future day when this life is finished--and our work is done. 

But faithfulness is eternal. 

I like to think that housework is one more way to "Serve the Lord with gladness," and in that light? The dread of cleaning slips away, leaving gratitude and a what-can-I-do-next-to-serve-others anticipation, instead.

And of course, the joy of an important job done well.











******

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very Interesting!
Thank You!