Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Movie Recommendation



Okay...This probably makes me a hypocrite after my last post... but I'll risk it.

I want to recommend a movie.

But most of you who read my blog will probably hate it.

(I never said I was good at movie reviews...)

But a handful of you will like this movie and it's for you that I'm mentioning it here--because you're probably not going to read about it any place else. Well, except maybe where I did--at Joshua's blog. If not for him I would have missed it. (Thanks, again, Joshua!)

Yeah...yeah...yeah... so what's the movie, right?

It's called Napoleon Dynamite. It's about a kid in high school. A nerd who knows he's a nerd and yet is comfortable with who he is. It's about two friendships he forms. And more.

It has a 1970's feel to it, yet is set in modern day times. In a tiny farm town so much like one I lived in during the 1970's when I was 11. That's one reason I liked it. I was a loner and I went to a small high school, too, later in a different town. Two more reasons I liked this movie.

Napoleon Dynamite looks like a movie your cousin Fred might attempt to make in a weekend with his 1980's video camera. Except that it's good.

It's quirky. Avant-garde. Slow-paced, but with tons of humor.The good kind of humor--not the bathroom type(which I hate). And there's no language or sex either!

No guns. No car chases. No bank hold-ups. Nobody falls off a mountain or gets blown to bits.

So anyway... For the four or five of you who might just love this movie, I wanted to mention it. Look up a couple (positive) reviews on the Net, if you'd like. Here's one.

Naomi loved this movie--we bought the DVD for her, even. Okay...okay...partly so we could later sneak it from her room and watch it again, ourselves (I confess).

Personally, I can't wait to watch it once more--maybe on Friday night. It's a perfect Friday night movie.

Debra gives this movie two thumbs up... She hopes she didn't just slip down a notch in your eyes by talking about it.

Sometimes you just like a movie because you just like it. (You may quote me.)

***
Anyone else seen this movie and loved it?

Oh, and if you decide to watch, be sure to sit through all the end credits. They slipped a whole other scene of the movie into them.

No comments: