Saturday, November 06, 2004

Staying Awake



The Times, they are a changin' (as the saying goes). These are exciting Times for Christians. Interesting, mind-boggling Times. The days we were supposed to have been preparing for all along.

The Bible warned us about these "Christians-Are-So-Stupid" days. Maybe you've noticed the rabid hatred the unsaved world has for those of us who voted for old-fashioned morals in this past week's Election.

Why do we think The World will like us as long as we 'play nice?' Why do we forget that any popularity Jesus experienced was always fleeting?

"He who hates me hates my Father as well... But now they have seen these miracles, and yet they have hated both me and my Father." John 15:23,24. 

That was a typical day in the life of Jesus. He never could keep all the people happy all the time. Must've been that great big sword he carried around with Him:

"Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." Matthew 10:34

You won't find me hiding behind any couch all sad and afraid of The Times. I'm excited to live in this era.

Well, we're getting closer to that final chapter and The Times, they will be a changin' even more quickly as the years pass by. But again, don't look for me to be shaking behind any curtain nor will I be wringing my hands in despair.

No, I'll check my Bible, rather like the kid in The Neverending Story, to see where we are and where we'll be going next. And I'll be excited to go there, that is, if I stay close to Jesus. If I stay prepared.

And if I stay awake.



******


Blessed are you, when men revile you, and persecute you, and say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake. Matthew 5:11

"In the world you will have tribulation, but be of good cheer for I have overcome the world." John 16:33


"Behold, I come like a thief! Blessed is he who stays awake and keeps his clothes with him, so that he may not go naked and be shamefully exposed." Revelation 16:15



***

No comments: