Monday, November 22, 2004

My Homemade Time Travel Machine




In my house, there is a time travel machine. Well, sort-of. I made it myself.

I use it whenever I'm tired of what this 2004 world has become.

I use it often.

And because you are such good friends, I'll share with you how to make your own time travel machine. One thing though--this machine only travels backward. It carries you only to the past. You'll have to read a different, more progressive blog to discover how to be whisked ahead to the future.

Here are the mechanical aspects of my own time travel creation:

At a table with a comfortable chair, I gather these vintage ingredients:

Magazines from the 1930's and earlier. Ones like The American Magazine, Good Housekeeping, Mc Calls, and House Beautiful

To those I add pre-1950 books by authors like:

David Grayson, Harriet Lummis Smith, Gladys Taber, Dallas Lore Sharp, D. L. Moody, A. W. Tozer, Rosamond du Jardin, Carolyn Keene, Grace Livingston Hill, Ralph Moody

For the finishing touches I add:

Cookbooks and homekeeping books written before 1940. Ones like All About Home Baking (1933), The Butterick Book of Recipes & Household Helps (1927), Entertaining is Fun! by Dorothy Draper

Stack these all across the table.
Dress the part! Wear something from the era you wish to visit. (You wouldn't want to stand-out as an outsider, you know.)
Throw the switch on your coffee maker.
Start-up your big band era music CD.
Strap yourself in your chair.
Locate your first magazine or book and hold on.
You're going on one nostalgic ride.


***

2 comments:

Jammie J. said...

Ahhhh, yes. *exhaling in peace*

Saija said...

your blog made me smile again today . . . you are so full of life, it blessed my heart . . . s