Thursday, November 25, 2004

Slowing Down



"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace; the mountains and hills will burst into song before you..." Isaiah 55:12



***

Gotta love that verse. I'd much rather be led by peace than be driven by:

Guilt-- "I'll feel guilty if I don't do such and such."
Fear-- "Something bad may happen if I don't do that thing."
Pride-- "How will it look if I don't do that good thing?" --or-- "But it all relies upon me so I must do such and such!"

Cruel taskmasters, All.

Oh, to just pause and ask, "Jesus? Is there something specific you are wanting me to do for someone?" And then to respond simply because of His voice.

And to be ok, really ok, with the times He says, " Right now, I don't need you to DO anything. Just BE.

Be real
Be grateful
Be encouraged
Be awake
Be aware
Be still and know that I am God."

Oh,to slow down and hear those things which can only be deciphered in silence. And to not insist upon cluttering-up Life with ridiculous complication.

To go out in joy and be led forth in peace--even in 2004!

Fifteen years ago I heard a sermon titled, "Are You Being Led? Or Are You Being Driven?"

That title has haunted me, in a good way, each year since. And I'm glad it has.

May it haunt you, also.





And he said: "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven....Matthew 18:3


***

No comments: