" ... their life shall be like a watered garden, and they shall languish no more." --- Jeremiah 31:12
****
So this past Springtime, like most, I planted my garden seeds late.
Like, mid-June. Really! Always I clean-up my yard's leaves and twigs first, prepare soil (takes a month+), then, this year, planted cherry tomatoes, jalapenos, even, and marigolds, dwarf zinnias, sunflowers and blue sage.
Also lettuce, but everyone knows that grows fast.
Youtube told me planting late was ok and you know? It was. I'm pretending it's Autumn already and oh, how pretty the at-peak oranges, reds and pinks of marigolds, tomatoes and zinnias in the Fall.
I've not told you in ages that my gardens are container ones. I plant seeds in gallon pots then either transplant them into larger containers or let them remain on our porch. Or carry them out to my 'farm garden bed' out back.
The heftier pots are sunk into the ground halfway after replacing last year's soil with 2/3 new soil, compost, and bits of fertilizer crystals. In the ground like that they, (ideally, anyway), don't dry out as quickly.
Now? Everything looks lovely these cooler days. I sit in our porch's sunshine beside lots of greenery, reading, and feel like I've traveled to an exotic place.
I did make one mistake (at least), though. In one of those sunken pots too near the porch, I planted 3 sunflowers. An annoying squirrel, over 3 days, reached over and snipped each pretty flowered head, ate a few seeds. Then scurried away with each one.
Note to self: next year plant the sunflowers farther out in an unreachable area.
With plants in containers? Anyone can have a garden. Anyone. Even an older lady who went through chemo and radiation, slowly recovered, then came out the other side feeling healthy and bubbling-over with gratitude.
I accidentally ordered two packages of one-gallon pots from Amazon. Yikes! Each pack contains 50 pots so if you live local to me and would like some of these, let me know. I'll happily give you some if you're willing to pick them up.
And usually I order seeds from Ebay, but a couple weeks ago I bought a set of assorted seed envelopes, 50, for a good price at Walmart. Non-GMO. And of course, I'm also saving seeds from what I planted this year.
****
Over at Pinterest, I had to start over. Long story. But whatever, I've had a pleasant time creating lots of new boards filled with favorite things.
Are you a member over there? I'd love to have you sign-up with me! There's something for everyone. Clothes, books, movies, decorating, quotes, etc. Go here.
*****
We have all new sidewalk! We were able to squeeze in one more big project this year, one 15 years in the making. We'd placed ourselves on the city's need-new-sidewalk list 14 years ago, but tired of waiting with those nearly-all-broken-and-cracked-disgusting concrete pieces. So we hired a crew and paid for it, ourselves.
Besides, it had always been a possible danger, one where we could get sued if someone tripped, even though, technically, the city owns the sidewalks.
Anyway, it's beautiful. They'll come to remove the forms today, then we'll need to have our lawn guys fill in the side parts with new dirt and grass seed.
*****
I've been binge-watching this young woman's videos and this is my favorite one so far.
Go little Wednesday, go! ツ
And as I wrote at Facebook:
What will they think of next? The 'Mornings With Granny' woman showed us laundry detergent sheets she found at Amazon. I'd never heard of those! I think she bought 80 for $5. Eighty loads of laundry for just $5 or if she tears them in half (she said) that's 160 loads for $5. Wow!
So I rushed over to Amazon and found 160 unscented laundry sheets for $9.99. They arrived today and get this: often I do just one load of laundry per week (hey, it's just 2 of us) so that's, like, only $10 for 3 years of laundry! If I considered cutting them in half, it would be even better, but these seem smaller than Granny's so I'll probably leave them alone. (Oh, and one reviewer said to place the clothes on top of the sheets so they don't just cling to the side of the wash barrel.)
Anyway, I've not used any yet, but they should work fine. It's not like Tom and I are ditch diggers with filthy, ground-in-dirt clothing. Haha!
Just had to share this money-saving idea with you all. They had tons of varieties if you wanted to use something a bit more organic, etc.
Go here to visit with Granny.
*****
***
"For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you, but if you do not forgive others their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses." ... Matthew 6:14,15



No comments:
Post a Comment