Thursday, February 16, 2017

So, Over The Past Couple Days ---



So this morning ol' Debra found herself back in the dentist's chair, but whew! Only for a cleaning. Gone is all the horrible pain from last month and today I even thanked the hygienist for her gentleness. Will I ever forget the one from ten years ago who used the hammer and chisel method? 

Uh, no. My head throbbed for hours back then and later at home I was in a bad mood for hours. But this time? No aching head or crankiness.

Oh, and earlier it'd been (super-lightly) snowing for hours, but I asked God if He'd stop the snow so I'd have a more pleasant walk there. And you know? Five minutes before stepping out the door, He did. 

Wow. As I gingerly stepped over the snow, I smiled for the whole two blocks and felt very, very loved.




*******





On Valentine's Day sunshine poured through our windows and Daniel The Cat and I sat at the table basking like crazy. I read books and--don't laugh--even with snow on the ground outside, it felt like a day at the beach inside (and yes, that's some imagination I've got). But still.

After work, Tom brought me flowers (above) and sponge candy. What a sweetie. And the night before, Naomi stopped by, giving us chocolate chip cookies from her workplace. Yum! She even brought some for Neighbor Mike, for his help to us and her while she lived here.

I hope your day was memorable, as well.




                              How delightful to receive Valentines from friends!



*******


Well, the Yahoo News homepage is making me nuts. If they ran a single positive story about President Trump I'd probably tip over in a faint. 

So currently I'm training my eyes to skip over it all. As I often tell myself, "When God wants me to do something, He provides the Grace to soften any blows I may receive." And well, instead of Grace, I've been feeling just plain mad at Yahoo News.

Want it explained more succinctly?  Here you go:   No grace? Stay away. Got grace? Go for it.



 "But He gives us more and more grace [through the power of the Holy Spirit to defy sin and live an obedient life that reflects both our faith and our gratitude for our salvation].  ...  Come close to God [with a contrite heart] and He will come close to you."   ... from James 4


"John answered and said, ” A man can receive nothing unless it has been given him from heaven."  ... John 3:27



******





Oh! And I painted the tops and fronts of three dressers, two in our kitchen and one in our guest room. They all needed freshening-up with more of the same paint.

Don't you love it when you finally stop procrastinating? Even while in the dentist's chair this morning, one of my happy thoughts was those light-yellow dressers and their now-gone dirt spots, scratches and purple pools of something (long story).   :)

As Nike says, just do it.




******







Ack! And I keep forgetting to tell you this --  if you admire beautifully written blogs, you'll love this one:

A Lovely Inconsequence

This post, especially, charmed me no end. Such an awesome getaway place, in case you need one (and don't we all need a few such places nowadays?).


******


"The greater perfection a soul aspires after, the more dependent it is upon divine grace."   ... Brother Lawrence


******


2 comments:

Betsy said...

I'm glad your dentist visit went well for you. And I'm with you on the news. I've been skipping as much fnews as possible lately. Every time I inadvertently see or hear it, I can feel my blood pressure go up! I'll check out the blog you gave us the link to. You haven't steered me wrong yet! Ha!!
Blessings, Betsy

Debra said...

Thanks, Betsy! And yes, the news these days is bad for my blood pressure, too. Oh my! I'm choosing just to pray and believe for good things, instead. Oh, and I think I found that new blog on your blogroll--I've been going down it recently and checking out your favorites!

Thanks for commenting! Blessings, Debra