Thursday, February 02, 2017

Opened a Lighted Doorway Lately?




"For those who are led by the Spirit of God are the children of God."  ... Romans 8:14


******

Every weekday around 6:00 a.m. I flip-on our back entryway lights before stepping out into the frigid darkness so to push up the garage door for Tom. Then I cross the snowy lawn and step back inside.

But this morning as I stood in our bright doorway, a car slowly drove by upon the cross street and immediately I recalled Almanzo Wilder and Cap Garland . You know how, if a man hadn't opened his lighted doorway exactly then, Almanzo and Cap would've, most likely, perished in the blizzard at their backs that icy black night in 1881. 

More, the wagon-loads of wheat they'd bought to save their starving town would've been covered by snow--and lost. And the citizens of early DeSmet, SD would have perished.

Yet, instead, everyone survived because at a perfect moment someone opened his door.

"What an incredible goal," I told myself as I crossed the lawn to the garage. "To be so led by God that just opening a door could change history forever."

Wow. I want to live that way. To not compare my small kindnesses to others' larger ones, but rather, to share simple-but-timely words of encouragement. To smile at someone who desperately needs one at that second. To obey God's always-timely nudges to let folks know I appreciate them, am praying for them and see God using them. 

To--at just the right times--shine the same light Jesus did when He was here, especially these days when a mad darkness is spreading.

And loving God with all my heart will take me there. All things are possible with God, especially when we stay so close that, even unknowingly, we're led to perfect places with Him, even around the house, where our light still can shine ever so brightly.






“Laura felt a warmth inside her. It was very small, but it was strong. It was steady, like a tiny light in the dark, and it burned very low but no winds could make it flicker because it would not give up.” 
― Laura Ingalls WilderThe Long Winter





******


The story of Almanzo and Cap can be found in The Long Winter, by Laura Ingalls Wilder.






"The corner of Almanzo's eye caught a gleam of light. He looked toward it and saw nothing in the storm-dark. Then he saw it again--a glow that shone bright, then abruptly went out. He knew what it was; light was shining out from a door opened and shut."

... from The Long Winter




I truly believe, with God, there are no coincidences.


******



"When they measure themselves by themselves and compare themselves with themselves, they are not wise."  2 Corinthians 10:12


"And who knows but that you have come to your royal position for such a time as this?”   ... Esther 4:14




“Laura said faintly, 'I thought God takes care of us.'

'He does,' Pa said, 'so far as we do what's right. And He gives us a conscience and brains to know what's right. But He leaves it to us to do as we please. That's the difference between us and everything else in creation.” 
― Laura Ingalls WilderThe Long Winter



******










8 comments:

Terra said...

I got goose bumps reading here how Almanzo saw the tiny flash of light, which saved him and ultimately a lot of people. Just the simple act of opening a door. I want to live like that; great post.

Betsy said...

Your words are so precious to me today Debra. What seems to us to be a very small act can mean the difference between actual life and death for people or at the very least a way to brighten someone's day. A smile, a card, a kind word..or a door opened. Most times we can never be entirely sure of the impact we have on others. Thank you for being a beacon of light to me, my friend.
Blessings,
Betsy

Pam said...

This post is truly an inspiration. Sometimes, we need to be reminded that we are God's hands and feet to a needy world. Thank you, Debra.

Debi @ Tuesdays Child said...

I echo Betsy's comment in that you truly are a beacon of light. Thank you so much for all your posts!

Deborah Raney said...

I loved this post, Debra! I'd forgotten all about that story. Makes me think maybe I need to reread the whole series! :) Thanks for the reminder that we can open a lighted doorway and make a difference. I'm so glad God opened a lighted doorway for me.

Sandra @ Thistle Cove Farm said...

Too many times, too many of us want to do "great and mighty" things for God, forgetting "obedience is better than sacrifice".

Debra said...

Terra--again it sounds like you and I are on the same page! Glad you liked this post.

Betsy--thanks so much and yes! Isn't it rather wild that small things have the ability to actually be quite huge?

Pam--you're welcome and truly, we do have a huge responsibility, right? Kind of boggles the mind.

Debi--thank-you so much! And I've been meaning to tell you that it's wonderful to see you back at my blog. I do thank you for your kind comments and I hope you'll continue to keep reading here. It's always a blessing to see you!

Deb--thank-you much! And, like you, I'm thinking I need to reread the Little House series. I've only read it around 20 times or so. heh. But winter is always such a great time for those wonderful books.


Thanks, Ladies! Blessings, Debra

Debra said...

Yikes, Sandra! Here it is a whole year later and I just now saw your comment. Strange! Seems it wasn't there before, but really, I wanted to say thanks and yes! Obedience is 'where it's at', especially, peace. There is such peace in obeying God in all the many simple daily ways He asks us to.

Thank-you and I hope you're doing well this year later. Blessings, Debra