Saturday, November 30, 2013

Still Believing After All These Years


"Jesus replied, This is the work (service) that God asks of you: that you believe in the One Whom He has sent."   ...John 6:29


*****

Tonight Tom and I did our annual viewing of Polar Express and yes, I would still hear that tiny silver bell because, even at 54, I still believe. In Santa? Nah...but in Jesus who still pours childlike wonder into me, keeping me full of faith that good still happens. If I believe.

Jesus told Thomas, "Blessed are they that have not seen and yet have believed" and oh, for me, believing is seeing and what I still see!

In my little Hobbit Cottage I gaze from The Red Couch to our windows and watch blazing pink sunrises with silhouetted snowy trees become bright blue with a gleaming sun which later turns all Halloween orange. And while God leads other folks to crowds or foreign lands, I think He leads me to windows. I get messages there to share with you... and that is well with my soul. 

Other times, Tom and I sit near each other, watching Daniel and Sammy The Cats batting at one another, nonchalant one moment, intensely another, but always with cat glee that brings smiles to our faces.

And yesterday Beezus and Ramona returned, bringing the chocolate-peanut butter bears I'd ordered. And wow! I'd just told Tom, "I wish I felt like making something for dessert right now." And there it was, right at our red door, brought by two girls straight from books.

There's an earlier part in Polar Express, where the boy at first, cannot hear the bells while everyone else can and I felt bad for all those people in Real Life who cannot hear or see or believe, either. Oh, what they miss! And I understood in a deeper way their inability to hear and how that sadness can make them search in very wrong places.


And I felt more grateful that, even in my 50's, Jesus still infuses me with wonder. I'm not twiddling my thumbs, waiting for a better day in Heaven--no! But each hour I aim to notice it all, every pure drop of childlike belief plopped down like raindrops and I fling away any drops of worry so to celebrate His extreme goodness, instead.



********

No comments: