Saturday, June 29, 2013

My Hundreds of Vacations


Vacation: 
1. a time of respite from something. Intermission.
   2. a scheduled period during which activity (as of a court or school) is suspended


3. A period of exemption from work granted to an employee



****

In this Millennium? Tom and I took 'real vacations' in 2001, 2002, 2004, 2010 and in 2007 we flew out to California for my dad's memorial service, but although we visited with many relatives, did lots of traveling and stayed in one motel, I hesitate (greatly) to call that a vacation. Mostly it felt like a sad time away from home.

Anyway, as you can see--we don't get away much. I, basically, hate to fly and--the older I've grown--by the time I've recuperated from the long, harrowing car trip to anyplace, it's time to head back home. I did love our train adventure across the U.S. and we'd planned another this past April, but Tom's new job got in the way. There'll be no vacation again this year.

Except that there will.

I'm on vacation when I take a personal day off from housework and/or the Internet when (pardon this please) people make me sick. I watch The Price Is Right and then sit on my front porch, drink hot chocolate, read and stare down the street at the huge river. For hours. Or when I walk around the block or to the river's edge park or when a friend and I sit in a sunny window over coffee.

I'm on vacation when I stroll through the four gardens Grace and I planted here at Hobbit Cottage and I sniff my herbs, sit on the grass, stare at my swaying flowers and dream in sunlight.

I'm on vacation when I read a children's novel after my head has watched too much news and feels too grown-up (pessimistic, jaded). When I take necessary hours or days to heal from living in this modern century.

I'm on vacation when I look at your vacation photos online and read about the fun you had.

I'm on vacation when I give myself permission to be happy while nothing exactly 'happy-like' is going on. When I let the peace of God rule in my heart, not a spirit of busy-ness, complaining or keeping-up with the Jones'.

Come to think of it, I'm on vacation a lot. And perhaps that's partly why (along with daily big doses of Vitamin C and D3) I've not had a real cold or the flu in over 3 years. Maybe the germs become so bored in my soul-on-vacation atmosphere that they hop over to a more stressful one for greater fun. :)


"Take My yoke upon you and learn of Me, for I am gentle (meek) and humble (lowly) in heart, and you will find rest (relief and ease and refreshment and recreation and blessed quiet) for your souls."   ... Matthew 11:29



*****

Oh, and lest you're wondering--yes--Tom and I have taken about 700 day trips. Our day trip memories are endless.

****


Inside my head I can travel to any lovely faraway place. And I do. Almost daily.


******


Speaking of flower beds.... I guess it wasn't enough that Grace and I hauled in 200 bricks last year and probably 400 pounds of soil. Nooo.... we had to start a new garden bed this year:





... and we're both thinking that--although there's lots more room to lengthen it--that's about as far as it's goin' this year. :) If only I had more energy! That whole strip along the fence gets the best, most incredible sunlight of the entire yard.

*****


"You transform yourself, you transform everything around you."   ... Cesar Millan

1 comment:

Judy said...

LOVE those vacations. Had one today...