Sunday, July 10, 2011

Just Thinking Aloud



It is the best of times, the worst of times. But everything is going to be ok.

Yesterday McCartney the Cat began going downhill and so today will be her final full one. I look at her sleeping over on the love seat and try not to cry. I hold her and long for just two more weeks! But within me, I know that, too, wouldn't be enough.

So now we're dealing with death and moving and packing and downsizing and flinging away and believing Naomi will find a safe place to rent (and letting her go again) and trusting God that, well, as I said--everything will be ok.

And it will be--in Time. 

Give God time and He can change your whole world, but of course, we're usually so darn impatient and want everything wrapped up in a pretty blue ribbon, like, now. Who wants to wait for anything anymore?

But we must wait and it's how we wait that matters most to God. Were we patient? Or huge, whining crybabies?

I spoke with our young neighbor, (Cute Little Julie's Mom I call her), out at our mailbox and discovered she'd been feeling sad and bad for us, what with our selling this farm where we'd only lived three years. Oh my! I assured her I can't wait to return to my Real Life back in the 'burbs. To again have time and energy for what God's gifted me to do, knowing I'm exactly where I'm meant to be. 

Suburb Girl gone home.

It's funny how often we assume we understand other peoples' motives, decisions, yet usually! We're all wrong. In fact, I often remind myself of this remarkable verse:


"A man's steps are directed by the Lord. How then can anyone understand his own way?" ... Proverbs 20:24



If we don't even get what God's doing in our own lives, why then are we so tempted to figure-out and comment upon others' actions? 


Anyway. I read an article this morning about the millions of people out of work for months/years and, again, I felt extreme gratitude to God for His provision for Tom and me, for placing within our hearts a desire to downsize and for showing us it's--truly--not about who has the coolest house and the most toys, land or vacation memories. 

Rather? It's about obedience to our callings and loving a huge God with all our hearts. And trusting Him for everything else.

Selah.



********


If you could remember my family in prayer on Monday morning as we take McCartney to the vet for the final time, well, we'd appreciate it so much. Thanks.




*****

11 comments:

Rita said...

You have been so good to your wonderful cat. You are so sweet with her. When I have loses I think of how some animals never get a chance to live a good life. God was good he gave her to you to love and she has been so well taken care of. She has had a good life.((hugs)) Like you I am looking forward to what will happen in your future. We are cutting back also and enjoy knowing that is exactly what we are suppose to do. Thank you for letting us peek into your life each day.

Unknown said...

To say there is a lot on your plate my friend is an understatement but that is when God does His best work. Your precious cat has been so blessed to have you looking after her. I am sure He will be looking after Naomi as well. Hang in there and know you have many people directing thoughts & prayers your way.

K.E. said...

What Odie said. Hugs and blessings to you.

Mary said...

Of course we will pray for you. It must be some comfort to know McCartney and Lennon will be reunited again! You have provided such a wonderful life for your cats. It makes me think of the quote on your blog, "Don't cry because it is over; smile because it happened"

Lots of prayers and warm thoughts your way.

Morning's Minion said...

Tomorrow will be difficult, no getting around that. I've sometimes grieved so much over the loss of a dear cat that I dare not confide it to many lest I be considered "unbalanced" or some such thing.
It is sad enough parting with those pets who make it through to what is, for them, old age. Worse, is when one has "died young" through accident or an illness which even the vet couldn't solve.
There's that time of adjusting when I think that out of the corner of my eye I can glimpse my furry friend still on his favorite bird-watching windowsill--or the dear old cat curled in the spot where the morning sunshine strikes the wood floor to warm her bones.
You will carry the memory of your cats with you to a new home--but perhaps this is easier after all for MacCartney--who wouldn't have enjoyed the move.
I will think of you tomorrow.

Jammie J. said...

Out of sadness and change, God brings inspiration and comfort.

Saija said...

leo still morns for our fearless feline ... he has 2 pictures of that faithful black cat by his chair ... sigh ...

and i must catch up on where you guys are moving ... i've only been away from blogland for 6 weeks or so and look at the changes!

(hugs) and (prayers for strength) sent your way ...

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

Prayers for you all, Debra...."His Eye is on the sparrow."

All shall be well.

Dolores said...

I can't believe that you are loosing another pet.(family member really). So sorry Debra.

Myrna said...

Good, thought provoking post, Debra.
I am so sorry about today. I am familiar with that road and will be praying for you..
Hugs,
Myrn

Sara said...

Knowing that with loves comes pain (to paraphrase C.S. Lewis), I ask God to ease the edges of this day and to soften the hardness of the hurt. Hugs to you SisterFriend.