Thursday, September 28, 2006

Here I Go Again...




My last post was controversial and well, I guess I'm on a roll. This one will be a tad controversial, also.

One of my favorite bloggers is Laura at Here and Now. She's such a sweetheart and I'd love to have her for a neighbor. Awhile ago she wrote about an idea she'd read about in another blog--you can read her post here if you'd like.

In theory, it's a marvelous idea. What is the idea? You choose to read a book which a friend or relative loves. And by reading your friend's favorite book you'll be showing him/her you care enough to read something they consider important. By reading what they love, you'll perhaps come to understand them better and be able to relate to them better in years ahead.

And seriously, that's a sweet idea and since Laura is a compassionate person, I could totally understand where she's coming from.

But I have just one problem with that idea. 

Until I went online, most of my friends easily read books peppered with swearing and using God's name in vain. Books which contain sex outside of marriage, adultery between people married to others, and bodice-ripping-like details of well, now you have me blushing!

And you know? Even for the sake of deepening a friendship, I cannot read books like those.

I just can't. Not even for my best friend or for someone who needs a friend.

Call me whatever you wish (believe me, I already know some of the names), but if I didn't follow my convictions in this area, I'd not live comfortably with myself afterward. I feel God has asked me to stay away from such books and what He asks of me must be considered first. Always. 

When I plow right through my convictions, I always discover myself later in some troubled land--

--and who wants that?

So there you go.


******

No comments: