Wednesday, March 30, 2005

So We Never Got to Paris


That is the title of one of my all-time favorite Out of the Grey songs. (Please tell me you are familiar with the group, Out of the Grey!)

I heard this song today--first time in probably two years--and just had to share it with you. I do wish you could hear the music, too, because it sharpens the words into little arrows which pierce your heart. ***Special Note*** Alas! You can listen to this song here.

Young lovers without much
Save each other
Isn't that enough?
Paint the future a little day by day
Making plans with no regard for what may come our way

This cup fills up so quickly
There's so much on our plate
Between the living and the learning
Some things must wait

So we never got to Paris
And found the cafe of our dreams
But our table holds a whole world of memories
No, we never went to Venice
And strolled the streets alone
But we built our worlds together and got the best of both.

There's still wonder in our eyes
But we see each other in a different light
Yet the future isn't always clear
Now the question is where do we go from here?

This cup fills up so quickly
There's so much on our plate
Between the living and the dying
Some things must wait

We may never get to Paris
And find the cafe of our dreams
But our table still will hold a whole world of memories
If we never get to Venice
And roam the streets alone
We'll hold our worlds together and we'll keep the best of both.
***

This is one of those songs... you know... that brings tears of gratitude to my eyes every time I hear it. And it's funny because for years and years I wanted to go to both Paris and Rome, but now, well, I know I could never love them as much as I love the home God has given me. Oh, not just the wooden structure, but the world Tom and I have built within that home.

I love those tears of gratitude--they spill from a very full heart. They used to flood my eyes on ordinary afternoons around the house only once or twice a year. Lately they've come once or twice a week.

Now I'm aiming for once or twice a day.


***


"Gratitude is the most exquisite form of courtesy." ...Jacques Maritain

***

No comments: