Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Motives Exposed


"...being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus." Philippians 1:6

Years past, I was anxious to fight in the Great Battle for souls,
"Let me go, Lord! I'm ready, I'm ready!" I cried.

I wanted to slay that old dragon
Who'd wreaked havoc in peoples' lives
And yet--
That same dragon was breathing sulfur into my own home.

I desired to dash out into the fierce battleground
And yet--
I hadn't learned how to put on my own armor.

I felt called to speak boldly to the nations
And yet--
I wasn't speaking respectfully to my own husband.

I longed to use my hands till they bled for The Cause
And yet--
I couldn't bring myself to finish washing the dishes in my sink.

I yanked at my leash, pulled at the ropes and made a lot of noise--
I wanted to look the part of a mighty warrior--
I was so unready.

Then one morning I awoke from my own folly-laced dreams
And horrified, saw my motives for wanting to serve
As a soldier of God.

I was humbled, then crushed by the vision.

But God in His mercy began a new work--
Rebuilt what I'd constructed all wrong--
Retrained me where I'd trained myself--
Gave me a new heart--
And a new home along with it.

And now--finally--
I've made my way out into the battlefield
And I see God's glory to the uttermost plains.


***
"Fight the good fight of the faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called..." I Timothy 6:12

"I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith." II Timothy 4:7

***

No comments: