Thursday, October 21, 2004

Secret Rendezvous



Where do you have your secret rendezvous with Jesus? (And just how does one make the word 'rendezvous' plural? I took high school French, like, 80 years ago.)  ツ

Currently, Jesus and I sit and chat most mornings on our sunporch. I make some of my 'pretend coffee', grab a few books and my diary, then sit at the table and well, dream mostly. And I read a little from a devotional book titled God Calling. It blows me away how often each short entry is exactly what I needed.

What else? Well, I stare out the window during summer mornings and listen to Jesus while I watch my neighborhood wake up. I meditate on a Bible verse. And write in my diary, pray awhile. Some of that or all of that~~it varies. Or I think great thoughts as I soak in the presence of Jesus. It's that soaking part that keeps me connected to Him the day's remainder. Keeps me aware of His presence as I clean the house, run errands, mow the lawn, take walks or converse with you here.

Of course, Jesus and I have other secret rendezvous places (we hate ruts). We have a blast at Starbucks-like places or trendy bookstores. We sit at a table while watching people and dream about what a world of folks who all loved God would be like.

Seriously, how does anyone function or have a life of joy without having daily trysts with Jesus? My secret rendezvous with Him are like my life blood and I can't explain their necessity or delight.

But these encounters require a heart-born determination, especially at first. They don't 'just happen.' No, everything will come along to keep them from happening. And the worst thing we can do is turn them into a dry, Law-like, must-do-things-the-same-way time. That will murder the fun.

But after we plow through all the interruptions and once we taste of all the delight which comes from these daily getaways? Well, we wouldn't miss one for anything in the world.

Literally.

Where do you have your quiet time?


******


Oh taste and see that the LORD is good.... Psalm 34:8

Whatever God's dream about man may be, it seems certain it cannot come true unless man cooperates.
Stella Terrill Mann



***

No comments: