Monday, February 14, 2022

Wild or Wimpy? A Healer or a Hider? Courageous or Cowardly?


"My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."   --- Psalm 73:26


******


Last week at our dining room table, I smiled at my completed stack of Valentines in pink envelopes and thought, "I should pray over these. Powerful stuff. That they'd carry happiness, healing and even freedom from any bondages for my friends."

So I did. Then I placed them in a sandwich bag, cleared away all the winter breeze stoppers Tom's got surrounding the door, then clothes-pinned the Valentines to our mailbox.

And felt fine. Light-hearted. Joyfully obedient.

Such a simple act, but it reminded me of things I sometimes forget. Like, how I experience Life is my choice. (Well, much of it, anyway.)


I can mope--or sing.
I can doubt-- or believe.
I can worry--or pray.
I can be mediocre--or excellent.
I can say, "Thank-you,"--or nothing.
I can act frenetic--or calm.
I can be timid, afraid--or bold.

I can be ungrateful, snippy or weak--or--thankful, kind and strong in the Lord. I can choose the easy, anyone-can-do-this way or God's way (they're seldom the same).

And when hardships come? I can burst into sharp, shattered pieces--or--I can allow the miracle-working God inside me to hold me tight. Together.

Choices. Wow, do I have choices. 

And on this Valentine's Day (and forever) may I remember and choose according to the mighty Light/Love/Strength breathing along with me inside my heart.





"Show yourself in all respects to be a model of good works, and in your teaching show integrity, dignity ...But as you excel in everything—in faith, in speech, in knowledge, in all earnestness, and in our love for you—see that you excel in this act of grace also."      Titus 2:7, 2 Corinthians 8:7


  • "True friends are never apart, maybe in distance but never in heart." — Helen Keller



Happiest of Valentine's Day wishes to all my special Readers!




May I allow God to turn my heart into a brave one so that, from Heaven, I can recall thousands of powerful memories.




Stay tuned for my next post when I reveal my wild connection to South Dakota which I didn't realize until recently!





******


Please remember: My posts are always about more than they appear to be. *** "For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you, but if you do not forgive others their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses." ... Matthew 6:14,15

5 comments:

Robin in New Jersey said...

Thank you for the encouragement and prayers. Opening the mailbox to see a pink envelope put a smile on my face. I have been going through a rough time so it was a lovely surprise. 💞

Debra said...

Dear Robin, thank-you so much for letting me know my Valentine made you smile. That means much to me. I'm so sorry you've been experiencing a rough time, but I'll continue to pray that all sorts of surprising, good things will come from it and that all will look bright very soon! Hugs, Debra

Betsy said...

Do you know Debra, that yours is the only Valentine I received this year? It arrived Saturday and I have it sitting right next to my knitting chair where I'll see it often. Thank you so much for the tangible reminder that I have friend who love me whom I have never even met in this life. (I do hope to change that someday.) And even if we don't meet here, we have eternity in Heaven to catch up. :-)
Blessings and love,
Betsy

Pam said...

I love the prayer, "May I allow God to turn my heart into a brave one so that, from Heaven, I can recall thousands of powerful memories." What a beautiful thought. It reminds me of David's prayer asking God to create a clean heart within him. Our God has the desire and the power to change hearts. Hallelujah! Happy Valentine's Day!!

Debra said...

Betsy--you are so sweet! Thank-you and I'm so glad my Valentine made you smile. Maybe someday we truly will meet here on Earth! And if not, perhaps we'll even live in the same neighborhood in Heaven. I would absolutely love that, my friend.

Thank-you so much, Pam, for your Valentine wishes and for being so faithful to comment here. You, also, are so appreciated and if both you and Betsy live in my Heaven neighborhood I'll be thrilled!

Thanks so much, Ladies! Blessings, Debra