Thursday, February 24, 2022

A Warning. You Know, Just In Case.


"Go to the ant, O sluggard; consider her ways, and be wise. Without having any chief, officer, or ruler, she prepares her bread in summer and gathers her food in harvest."   --- Proverbs 6: 6-8

******

A little incident happened last week and boy, am I grateful you weren't here to view it. 

I'd spied the near-emptiness of my sugar jar so I kneeled before our cupboard with my vintage canisters, opened the sugar one and uh-oh. Only three tablespoon's worth remained. Then I peered through the canned green beans, cat food and crackers to where I store sugar bags and oh my goodness!

Not a bag of granulated sugar anywhere. Just plenty of brown sugar, oh, and Stevia, also.

"No, no, no, no!" I whispered. "This can't be. How the heck did that even happen? I'm a prepper for goodness' sake! This is humiliating. Seriously. What kind of a prepper runs out of white sugar?" 

"A bad one," I mused. And sitting there on the kitchen floor I hung my head. シ

Then I thought, "Hey. If you were visiting a friend and she'd failed sugar-wise would you have been that critical of her?" Answering my own question, I replied, "Of course not. I'd just encourage her to add it to a grocery list and move on, making substitutions meanwhile."

So that's what I did. Forgave myself (as often I must in my 60's). Added sugar to my Aldi's list then checked my stock-up list for other possible gaffe's. Made changes. Moved on.

I mentioned that episode because of the upcoming trucker freedom convoy. Now, I'm all for it (as I was the Canadian one), though this might be something to consider:


"I implore all truckers to avoid Washington D.C.. This is where help can no longer be found. They will just set you up, cause an incident, and use it as a political message against the American people just like January 6, as if you are the problem. Please put a sign on your truck and go instead to your State capitols.... Rally your people in your state!"   --- Phillip Davis via Gab


But anyway, with tons of trucks now headed across country, planning to park themselves at their destination, well, you never know. Perhaps this will cause even more empty supermarket shelves in our local stores. 

Most of us? We've taken the trucking industry for granted all our lives. Hopefully that will change soon, yet not in a yikes! way.

As always, you're free to do--or not do--something about this. But as for me and my house we're today thankful for our stocked cupboards, fridge and freezer. And of course, this latest convoy is not the only reason I'm a prepper! No, I've chosen a prepared lifestyle, for consistently it rewards me.

Growing older? A nuisance at times, ok, yet gaining experience and wisdom, now, that's remarkable.

These days no one can tell me prepping is stupid. Well, they can try, but I'd just smile rather sadly, for these past two covid years, especially, prepping made my life calmer, sweeter and swept away stress like crumbs from a kitchen floor.

Color me deeply grateful! And hey, no longer even caring what anyone might say about my stocking-up habit.

After all, when something works for you, it's to be received gladly and not released until God says so.




I hope these covid years have pushed many folks into learning about real health and their immune systems, as opposed to just taking pills for symptoms rather than attacking their cause (when possible).

Oh, and Anne mentioned that we may want to fill our tanks with gas, as well. Good advice! And if you heat with/use propane, you may want to fill those tanks, also.

And with inflation being what it is, I do love knowing that the food in my cupboards was bought while much cheaper than now. And what we all buy today? It'll cost less than future purchases.


******


And as I shared at Facebook:


Even the uncertainties of 2022 can never change ANY of this!


(My favorite lines: 'She will guide you down delightful paths, all her ways are satisfying.' Yes! It's exactly like that. Wow.)


******




For those (like me) who enjoyed the Nickleodeon channel back in it's heyday, there's a nifty documentary about it at Hulu. Wow, the memories!


Oh, and color me thrilled to have discovered lots of booktubers' middle grade book recommendations at Youtube! Wow, can't even express all my happiness at that one. (I've a list of 25 books to search for at Open Library!)

Speaking of middle grade books, here's one I finished reading at Open Library this week: Love, Ruby Lavender. (But ack! That Melba certainly made me livid at times!)  ツ



"I'd rather be crazy than hungry."   --- Gina Pounds (seen in Patara's comment section.)  

(Patara lately, right? Love her!)


******


"The prudent sees danger and hides himself, but the simple go on and suffer for it."   --- Proverbs 22:3


Please remember: My posts are always about more than they appear to be. *** "For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you, but if you do not forgive others their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses." ... Matthew 6:14,15

4 comments:

Betsy said...

I smiled at your sugar story. I did that too, only with coffee for Dennis. I don't drink it, but he does and I always have plenty. Now, even with all of my pantry prepping I ran out. I bought more my next grocery trip so all is well now.

I hope the same, that the truckers find another place to stage their gathering. DC is not the PEOPLES capital anymore. It's full of politicians just trying to have their own way. The events of this week lead me to believe with even more conviction, that this world is changing in an irrevocable way. Come Lord Jesus, Come.
Blessings and hugs,
Betsy

Sandi said...

Betsy said, "The events of this week lead me to believe with even more conviction, that this world is changing in an irrevocable way."

It might be a good change. I am hopeful.

Debra, I don't think running out of sugar is so bad. Well, maybe... ha ha 😃

Diana said...

In this house, we don't do sugar, and haven't for many years. If anything, it's stevia, but usually nothing. Nor do we ever have salt. We only have those two if they are naturally occuring in the foods I buy... and I will not buy sugary or salty foods. Our diet is mostly natural (some people would say organic, but when you put the word organic on foods at the store, the price in twice as high or more). For those of us on such a miniscule income as disability prepping is pretty much not an option. Yes, I'm into reading all about prepping, etc., etc. but when you live on what we do, welp.... You have to really know a person's situation in detail to know that. I've researched prepping and know preppers as friends for many years. I prep in other ways (no cost), and I'm fine with what I've done... but food is a whole 'nother topic. I just do the best I can with what we have and how I'm able. // There are many changes in this world going on... and I truly believe God will be calling us home sometimes during the rest of my years. I'm 65, so I hope it is soon. I'm so done with this world. If not, well.... I look forward to seeing Him whenever it is. I saw an article somewhere, I think the truckers' website, that said they do not plan to park within the DC proper and would only stay, I think it said three days. I'll have to look for that article again, or their website. I don't think ANYONE should go to DC for anything, everything there is set up to hurt American citizens. // Hugs and blessings to you, dear Debra!

Pam said...

I'm still getting my food storage sorted out in our little home. A couple months before we moved, we decided to try to use up our stockpile, so we didn't have to move it. That worked well. Debra, I'll bet you and your family are thinking that way, too. It's been fun finding nooks and crannies to store extra food. Sugar (brown, white, pink--hey, my granddaughter sprinkles it on cookies) is a real necessity. We live in an agricultural area and have relatives actively involved in farming. All of us should be doing our best to stock up on food. The farmers will be paying incredibly high prices for fuel and chemicals this year. Higher than they've ever paid. Then if Ukraine's wheat crop is disrupted, we won't be able to count on those imports. We could see bread prices rise as never before. Just a few days ago, during my Bible reading, I came across the verse that said "a day's wages for a loaf of bread." (Revelations, I believe). No one knows what the future holds, but if we follow the Lord and His Word, we will find answers. In the meantime, Debra, double check your grocery list, and make sure you have sugar on it (I'm even stocking our favorite candy--I know that's probably lame, but we really enjoy our sweets!).