Sunday, January 17, 2021

Holding Onto Your Proverbial Hat?


"So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal" ... "She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come."   ---2 Corinthians 4:18, 9, Proverbs 31:25


******

So there I was down in our dark basement. April, 2020. "Fifteen days to slow the spread," had, in many states, morphed into, "let's push this isolation another month or three."

Pulling my damp laundry from the washer, I asked God, "Why are lockdowns stretching out farther? They'll hurt lots of people." 

What I felt the Holy Spirit say? "This is all about exposure of sin and a shaking of everything. And the story about Elijah and the prophets of Baal? It's about that, also." (See 1 Kings 18)

Hmm. That's what I 'heard,' or rather, sensed within my spirit. 

Then carrying the heavy laundry basket up the steps, I considered those words and--nine months later--I've not stopped. I've felt assured God has a huge plan, a good one for His trusting remnant.

But man, since April, in snippets of moments totaling 11 (12?), I caught myself doubting that plan. I allowed my mind to imagine what might happen, instead, and oh, Honey! After each brief moment I lectured my sorry self:

"Debra! What a disappointment. Again. True faith does not bounce up and down, fade into worry, nor let its imagination wander down dark bunny trails. Real, God-breathed faith keeps believing even if what it sees appears opposite. Tsk. Tsk."


Though I'm not yet into beating my body like the Apostle Paul mentioned(!), I do tend to react firmly if my mind switches to wishy washy. For whole decades God has trained me for such times as these, to approach problems the way He would. I should know better!

But the good news? Those quick, fleeting moments of doubt were just that. Quick. Fleeting. 

The vast majority of those months I felt peace plus a new strength, boldness and determination to arrive in Heaven without embarrassment of how I behaved while our Country shook and was exposed like never before.

I mean, how humiliating to go all wimpy when God made so much faith and assurance available, instead, to those who believe Him rather than circumstances!






"No, I strike a blow to my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize." ... Without faith it is impossible to please God..."  ---1 Corinthians 9:27, Hebrews 11:6

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."   ---Jeremiah 29:11

2020? An incredible year sent to humble us, to show us where we're still lacking in deep faith and love for God. Perfect love casts out fear, leaves no room for it.





******

Did I already tell you I joined Gab.com while waiting for Parler to return? I'm enjoying my time there, especially now that it's speeded up and I've found my kindred spirits old and new.


Oooo! This week I discovered two Tim Janus videos with tons of cottages. So many scenes which reminded me of some of Heaven's acres as I imagine them. Wow, calming beyond belief.

Go here.
And here.




"But when you ask, you must believe and not doubt, because the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. That person should not expect to receive anything from the Lord. Such a person is double-minded and unstable in all they do."  ---James 1 :6-8




"For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you, but if you do not forgive others their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses." ... Matthew 6:14,15

4 comments:

Betsy said...

Amen! Trusting even in these uncertain days that GOd will be with us and protect us through His mighty hand. Who know's what the next week, month or year will bring, (besides God), but we can rest in the knowledge of His love for us.
Blessings,
Betsy

Pam said...

I'll second Betsy's "Amen!" We're human and some days can be especially tough, but God is bigger, and we can trust him. It's humbling to admit that I can't always trust my own judgment, but as long as we walk this earth, all of us are going to need help, and God is our best resource.

Carrie said...

I appreciate this upbeat talk very much. I admit I have been depressed. I burst into tears often here lately. Thank you for helping me.

Debra said...

Betsy--so true! Now more than ever we need to hear from God for ourselves so we can follow Him closely so to avoid falling into deception.
Pam--yes! I so do not want to trust my own judgement. Phooey on that. :) I'll choose God's ways, instead.
Carrie--Your comment blessed my heart. Thank-you for letting me know I'd encouraged you: it means more to me than you know. Hang in there! God has good surprises for us up ahead.

Thanks so much, Ladies! Blessings, Debra