Tuesday, December 22, 2020

Your Mission, Should You Choose To Accept It --



 The wicked flee when no one pursues, but the righteous are bold as a lion. Fight the good fight of faith!  ---Proverbs 28:1, 1 Timothy 6:12

******

Those Youtube music reactions I keep blathering on about? They led me to the old Simon and Garfunkel song, The Boxer. My favorite lines are these:

In the clearing stands a boxer

And a fighter by his trade
And he carries the reminders
Of every glove that laid him down
Or cut him till he cried out
In his anger and his shame
"I am leaving, I am leaving,"
But the fighter still remains.



Oh my. Following this turbulent 2020 does the fighter in you still remain, even after threatening to quit? Or did he, months ago, play the introvert card and go into hiding in 'safe spaces' (literal or figurative) with crackers and crayons? 

You might remember when the Apostle Paul mentioned a boxer--

 "Run in such a way as to get the prize...Therefore I do not run like someone running aimlessly; I do not fight like a boxer beating the air. No, I strike a blow to my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize."  --1 Corinthians 9: 24, 26


Paul was never a fan of crybabies. Quitters. Milk drinkers who should be chomping on steak by now (Hebrews 5:12). No, he was tough, active, not passive, and he expected us to be strong in God, also.

Your mission, should you choose to accept it? 


Seek God until He becomes your closest companion.
Discover that secret place in Him where always there's a deep love and a constant sense that all will be well.
(You'll know you're near to true closeness with God when the thought of losing your best friends does not crush you.)
Boldly go where you've never gone before in Him.
Follow where He leads, even to the places of confrontation of evil.
Give, serve, love, lose your present life (way of doing things) to gain one a million times better.
And never stop before the end of any journey God sent you out upon. You'll miss out. Hugely.


2021? It'll be a year requiring all our creativity, skills, and our ability to accept and overcome challenges with determination as well as to 'encourage ourselves in the Lord' when others say nothing. 

'The fighters who remain'? At 2021's end, they'll be those proclaiming, "Wow. What an incredible, adventurous year with God that was! Oh how I appreciate what He and this year created within me."





"Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes."   ---Ephesians 6:11

"The only one who will not fail you is the one that I have put my complete trust in. And that’s Jesus Christ, the son of God!" --Matt Couch


Other favorite lines from The Boxer? These--

"Still, a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest."

Tell me about it.  シ

***


Those who love Charles Dickens', A Christmas Carol, might also appreciate this. (I know I did. There's a part there I still can't shake--and don't wish to. Ever.)  


Oooooo! Time Travel. Here. And here. I certainly loved my visits with all these ladies in the Past.


******


And ha! This made me smile--

Matt Couch
@RealMattCouch
Mary, exhausted, having just gotten Baby Jesus to sleep, is approached by a young man who thinks to himself; What this girl needs is a drum solo... 🙂 #MerryChristmas #Christmas



******









"For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you, but if you do not forgive others their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses." ... Matthew 6:14,15

5 comments:

Sandi said...

Powerful words! Thank you.

Betsy said...

Very true. However, I am one who has stayed in isolation much of the time as per my cardiolgists orders. I feel guilt from my church friends who say I'm not trusting in God enough and I shouldn't be staying home from places and events.
However, my brother, who had the same heart issues that I do, died in April after contracting Covid in the hospital after a battery replacement on his pacemaker. I feel that God also expects me not to take unecessary risks and to use common sense. Our daughter who is a nurse who has worked with Covid patients has also given me the same warnings. So, I am not a warrior in this way. But God can use me while I'm at home in many ways and I choose to follow those paths.
Blessings and hugs,
Betsy

Debra said...

Sandi--thanks so much! I appreciate your reading here and leaving such a kind comment. Thank-you.

Betsy--actually, all the things I listed in this post can be done from home and in our own neighborhoods. As long as we have the Internet we have a world wide ministry! (And oh, the responsibility!) Also, the part of growing closer to God is easily done from home as well. What I was speaking of, the 'safe room' was running to a mental/spiritual place where we sit back and minister to no one because of our fears.

Whenever God wants us to do anything, He makes a way! Always, so that we can never say I have an excuse to do nothing for Him. He understands us better than we understand ourselves and He custom-makes our ministries for us right where we are.

I really wish people everywhere understood that with God we can do ALL things that He planned for us from the beginning. The world would look totally different if everyone did what He specifically called them to do.

Thanks so much, Ladies! Blessings, Debra

BJS said...

"...Christmas is a weapon....." this was very good, and timely! Thanks for sharing.
I appreciate your thoughts on all today!
Merry Christmas to you, Debra and all your readers!
Bev

Pam said...

Yes, we are warriors with God's help. Whenever I grow weary of all that's going on, I remember that the Bible is full of information about being a good soldier. It's not as though we weren't warned that life would be difficult--but our God promises to stay with us and he will help us every step of the way. Thank you for telling the truth, Debra. May you, Tom, and Naomi have a wonderful Christmas!!