Thursday, January 16, 2020

Her Secret Agent Life (And The Exciting One To Come)


            "Is anything too hard for the Lord?"   ... Genesis 18:14


******

1965. A springtime Sunday afternoon in Newcastle, CA. Fifty-five years ago, yet feels like only last week to me.


I was 6. We'd just returned from church, my dad was parking the car inside our garage and I stood upon the front patio of our ranch-style house with my little sister and mother as she searched inside her purse for her keys.

That's when I looked at my mom's protruding stomach and considered the baby inside. Suddenly I questioned to myself, "But how did the baby get in there?" I began to wonder at this, but soon concluded simply: "I think God must put babies inside of mothers."

I smiled, felt such peace about that answer, then stepped inside the house with my family.

Aww ... sweet and childlike trust, right? Perhaps my favorite story about myself, ever. And hey, I wasn't all that far off, considering it's God who places our spirit within us at conception.

Anyway. As a teenager my 'God can do anything' belief became stronger, even though--at times--preachers and people surrounding me believed and taught otherwise. In fact, I became almost a secret spy, an after-church-service listener to tiny groups amongst wooden pews.  (We mousy, average-looking girls easily blended into backgrounds.)

Folks might murmur, "I believe the book of Acts was a one-time thing. God moves differently today." Heads nodded in agreement.

Me? I'd casually pretend to read the church bulletin, yet think, "If God did wild things back then, why couldn't He still do them now?" There'd be more discouraging talk, then I'd step away, often into the church library. I'd check-out another couple books about real-life modern miracle stories, devouring them at home. On Monday while walking to school, I'd meditate about the books' miracles and our huge God.

Yes, I was one weird teenager.  ツ And I'm glad. I'm also thankful that never have I lost faith that our God can do whatever miracles He wants.

And that's why I'm so excited to see that many pastors/teachers/prophets are in agreement (oh, how pleasant, powerful, is unity!)-- that this new decade will be the beginning of God 'saving the best wine for last' (as Jesus did at the wedding). He'll do new, glorious things upon the Earth. Here is just a hint:


I will pour out my Spirit on all people.
Your sons and daughters will prophesy,
    your old men will dream dreams,
    your young men will see visions.
29 Even on my servants, both men and women,
    I will pour out my Spirit in those days.
30 I will show wonders in the heavens
    and on the earth...

And everyone who calls
    on the name of the Lord will be saved. (From Joel 2)

 "For the earth will be filled with the knowledge 
of the glory of the Lord 
as the waters cover the sea."   (From Habakkuk 2:14)




There's more, but this is only a blog post. And hey, of course you're free to believe what you will. That's fine. I get it.

But as for the young girl still inside me? The one who never considered stuffing God inside a box of dry tradition? As for her and her house, she will welcome whatever changes God brings in this decade ahead, even if it means--first--God using her in dicey battles to help soften hardened hearts so they'll run to God, not from Him, when He shows Himself mightily in the years to come.

In fact, she can hardly wait for any of it. For all of it.










                            (I'm looking forward to these sorts of things once more!)




******


Again, there's work to do beforehand to help 'make straight the way of the Lord' (from John 1). Lance Wallnau said it convicting-ly well--


"Many Christians who have been called to this battle... they aren't gonna go because it's going to interrupt their finances, their popularity. It will create controversy and they'd rather be spiritual than dangerous. God is looking for dangerous people, ones who are willing to go where the battle is and where the opportunities are.  

Saul was chosen to deal with Goliath, but Saul didn't... David may have been a man of superior heart, but He wasn't God's first choice. Saul was, but he didn't do it. And there are a lot of people under a religious spirit right now that will simply not do what God is calling them to do. There are people under a fear spirit and they're afraid they'll lose business, lose their platform or money or their social media. And so they harden their ear from hearing the call of God because they don't want to hear the call to dangerous living."   ---Lance Wallnau







God spends years preparing us to win battles, not to sit on couches and hide.




And here's some of that unity I mentioned: 20 Prophetic Words for 2020. Oh my, so much encouragement and anticipation for this new decade!



******







"For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you, but if you do not forgive others their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses." ... Matthew 6:14,15

5 comments:

Betsy said...

I agree with you Debra. I think God is moving in amazing ways right now and He's sifting with His winnowing fork for those who will stand for Him and for what is right. I also remember hearing people question the might of God. People I would have thought knew better. Thank you for your brave words today. I'm SO glad you're my friend.
Blessings and love,
Betsy

Pam said...

I believe the Spirit of God is roaming the face of earth, looking for people who believe and are willing to be used. We know that nothing and no one can stop Him (who would want to??) I believe these are exciting times to be alive. What a wonderfully encouraging post, Debra! Thank you for it!!!

Debi @ Tuesdays Child said...

I'm agreeing with the other gals who've commented! And Debra, thanks for being YOU!

Debra said...

Betsy--oh my! Your comment encouraged me more than you realize, for this is a subject very dear to my heart. In the past I've not written much about these things since God's had me concentrate more on dying to self,etc., but really, I think so often about how huge He is and what He's doing on our planet. Thanks so much for your words!

Pam--you're most welcome and as always it sounds like we're on the same page! And I do thank you for commenting so kindly as always, as well.

Debi-- I appreciate your encouraging comments and look forward to them more than you perhaps realize. Thank-you so much!


I appreciate each of you ladies! Blessings, Debra

Rebecca said...

Your expectations align with my own! I just completed a Tozer book which kindles the fire of that expectation in me! 🙏