Monday, March 04, 2019

The Adjustments We Make


"My son, do not forget my teaching, but let your heart keep my commandments, for length of days and years of life and peace they will add to you. 

Let not steadfast love and faithfulness forsake you; bind them around your neck; write them on the tablet of your heart. So you will find favor and good success in the sight of God and man. 

Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. ..."  Proverbs 3: 1- 5

******


So perhaps you remember ol' Debra became majorly irked when Tom bought that new car, not using a certain savings account as he'd planned because our accountant (with whom I disagree over most everything) said not to.

Er hem.

Around the same time, that aforementioned money manager suggested to Tom that he have $100 each month automatically (from our checking account) put into a different savings account.

Well, the good news? 

Although Tom signed for a 3-year-loan on the car, he paid it off in just 2 years. He did that secretly (which I didn't totally appreciate), but we saved tons of money (which appreciate, yeah, I certainly do).

The bad news? 

Somehow (probably because those early months were filled with my trying to accept the new car and that the dream of a new house had died), I forgot about that extra $100 savings being removed from our account.

Well, like maybe 4 times I noticed it in our bank statements and subtracted it in our checkbook. But that's all. Mostly? I just forgot about it. Which yes, horrifies those of you who know your bank balance down to the final penny. Hey, calm down.  ツ

Anyway.

Forgetful checkbook behavior catches up to you, right? And uh-oh, last month our City Tax bill bounced. Yikes. Go falling behind in your taxes and your friends spy your names in the newspaper, feel sorry for you and can never again look you in the eye.  😲

Fortunately, since Tom was (shockingly) laid-off in 2010 (when we had no emergency fund), we've gotten wiser. We've set aside easily-snatch-able savings, which whew, we poured into our checking account, then paid the fine, set-up an overdraft and made certain the City Tax folks ran our check through again. (They did.)

Oh, and our income tax refund is on the way.

So partly, that's a, "What a relief! Survived-that" thing. But the other part? Now we must rebuild that emergency fund, which means sacrifice (icky word). Fewer books, less eating out, less spending on 'fun' or unnecessary home improvement. For awhile. Darn. 

Yet what helps? I remind myself how terrific it felt when that emergency fund 'saved the day'.

Making adjustments. Tweaking what we like best for something we--initially--don't prefer, but know it'll be beneficial someday.

Like, making ourselves move forward and adjust to--


Grown children leaving home.
Moving into a smaller house.
Growing older, not having the same stamina.
Losing loved ones through death.
Losing friendships through Time, changes, emotional and mileage-wise distance.
Having a lower income. 


Lately I'm realizing it matters that I adjust to the smaller changes. That I form certain habits in those easier times so I don't panic and free fall down depression wells in harder times. 

And I'm learning everything will--somehow--be ok. In Time --


If I've learned to--first--run to God.
If I seek my main comfort from Him.
If I (truly) desire His wisdom, not my logic.
If I keep doing good to others (when I'd rather hide, quit, grow bitter). 
And if I obey God rather than allow fear to paralyze me.

Basically if God means more to me than anything else, I'll be fine, even if, for awhile, it feels like only He and I are standing alone at the windy corner of Trust and Wisdom.

But then, is there even a safer place to be?








"He who loves, trusts."
- Author Unknown







    





“When it becomes impossible to go back to normal, we have to create a new normal and adjust to it.” 

― Sabine Shah


******


Ooooo.... I spied this old entryway in a local house for sale. Especially loved that curvy wood piece and the bench which is reminiscent of one you'd find in an inglenook.










******



And I can whine about having a tiny, storage-less house or I can give away clutter I don't need and keep adding new storage for what I wish to keep.

The more storage solutions I add here? The happier,more contented I become.

Something else which helps is reading articles like this one:  7 Things a Designer Would Never Do In A Small Kitchen.







******








******

Oh! And could you please pray for my mom? She's having some heart issues again and had to spend Saturday night in the hospital. Thanks so much.


******

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will definitely be praying Debra. You have said some very wise words in this post. Although you’re right, my accountant husband would never let that pass. The checkbook balances to the penny every month, as I’ve said before. Wishing you a lovely day my friend.
Blessings, Betsy

Rita said...

Debra
I am so thankful for this post. As I read it I felt it was written just for me. Oh how I needed it. I now have more solid ground and direction. Will be praying for your mother. Heart issues are so uncomfortable. Many prayers.
Rita

Pam said...

I really appreciate those verses at the top! When my daughter was a toddler, she had a tapeplayer and one of the tapes she played often had a song called, "Trust in the Lord With all Your Heart." In my mind, I can still hear her sweet voice singing that verse that promises us so very much! Life can be hard...some days we wonder, "What next?" but as long as we trust in the Lord, our bff, we know we can make it. You bet I'll pray for your mom, Debra. Please keep us posted on her condition.

Deb said...

So sorry to hear about your mom, Debra. I'm praying right now. And I SO appreciated this post and could relate to SO much of what you wrote: disagreeing with hubby on financial things, but ultimately working it our and realizing that just because we have different opinions about and attitudes toward money doesn't mean either of us is wrong—just that we're different. And long live the difference! When my husband was laid off from his job in 2009, we made big changes that have reaped big rewards in recent years. Hard to cut back and save and live more cautiously where money is concerned, but well worth it in future security and assurance that we'll be taken care of in our later years (of course GOD is our ultimate and only true security!) Always enjoy your writing!

Debra said...

Thanks to each of you who prayed for my mom! We've spoken over the phone twice this week and she's feeling much better.

Betsy--oh my, my checkbook-keeping would absolutely terrify your husband. heh. :) It's super rare that we are overdrawn, but it's also super rare that I know exactly what we have in there.

Rita--your comment made my whole week! The main thing I want to be around here is timely. Thanks for letting me know I was.

Pam---awww, such sweet memories of your daughter! Thanks for sharing them and I'm so glad you liked the verses.

Deb--I always recall your encouragement when Tom was laid off. I actually read your email while we were in California visiting relatives after our first train trip (which we'd already signed up for before the lay-off). I was greatly encouraged! So thanks again and for reading here all these years.

Thank-you, Everyone! Blessings, Debra