Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Miracles. Everywhere.



"Truly I tell you, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you."   ... Matthew 17:20


******



Where've I been? Experiencing deepest gratitude. 

Oh Winter, truly, must've lasted forever because for two weeks the greening of our trees has felt like a miracle. Really, I stand outside and gawk--you'd think I'd never seen such a thing before.

And finally, after 6 years of perennial-planting, my flower beds are caring for themselves. Well, nearly so. And the lesson? 

Give plants and people time in which to grow. Mature. God's not in a hurry and to Him the process is big. Cooperate, slow your expectations--and know peace.




Another miracle? (Though some of you won't like it.) I told you before that a church bought the plot of land at the end of our street (opposite side) and plants vegetables for our neighborhood in raised beds.

Well, they also planted three baby evergreen trees exactly across our view of the river through the picture window. What a disappointment! Those trees stay bushy-thick all year 'round.

And ok, I confess: I prayed the trees would die. And two of them did(!) The two especially in the way.

Now, calm down. Before anyone's eyes bulge and pop, let us remember the little thing about Jesus cursing the fig tree, ok? (Mark 11.) And how He said if we had mustard seed faith we could move mountains.





Er hem. Anyway, I think it's wild. Reminded me how, out at the farm, I prayed they'd move the street sign from in front of our sunroom--and they did(!) Eight years later, that's still shocking--and feels like a special thing God did for me.

Moving on-- For nearly 7 years I've wished (maybe prayed) someone would remove the ages-old ugly telephone pole across the street. Four feet of its bottom part were whacked off and it was connected to a new, lighter-color pole. Leaned a bit, too.

Guess what? This week men unhitched it from the new pole and took it away. Farther down the street they did the same thing to poles with the same unsightly set-up.

That happened while I visited with Sally who's celebrating her 80th birthday(!) I brought her a card and we looked at the fish in her new fish tank from her kids. On Saturday her grandson-in-law drove her to church for a potluck, but turns out it was a huge surprise birthday party. (Sally said she nearly had a heart attack.) Even her kids from Ohio came.

Oh, and we had our carpet cleaned and the guy (the owner) even washed the old 5' x 7' area rug on our front patio! (Who does that? I'll definitely leave a 5 star reference on his Facebook page.) Also, he returned yesterday to give extra help for a spot which I probably ruined a couple weeks ago (don't ask. It's horrible, but I'm attempting to keep it in perspective.). For free, but we insisted he take a tip.

Oh glorious Springtime when I become all Energizer Bunny-ish! How easy to pray, believing for miracles beneath your sunny skies. But may I believe through all seasons, even grey, stormy ones, as well, when I'm tempted to be all down and moody. 

And may I never miss, nor take for granted, a single miracle handed to me from the Giver of all good gifts.






                                   It's that frothy-like-ocean-foam time of year.





Remember: Complaining and whining and giving-up are not the same as praying. Sounds obvious, but sometimes we spend hours doing those things and only seconds, praying. And everything turns a little hazy: did we pray? Or only wish?



Dare to believe.







*******






Did you know that Trading Spaces is back?! It's on TLC.

Hooray for the return of creativity! What fun to watch folks decorate outside the box again, rather than all that grey paint and granite countertops HGTV constantly feeds us.



******

19 comments:

Betsy said...

Prayer does work wonders doesn’t it? And I understand. For seven years we’ve had teo unsightly snaggle tooth tree stumps that were about 30 feet high right behind our view window in our trailer at the lake. It seems like a silly thing to whine about, but they really were ugly. Last fall they cut them down without us ever saying a word. I enjoyed reading your upbeat and happy post today Debra. It’s a breath of fresh air in a world gone mad.
Blessings, Betsy

Pam said...

Yes, there are miracles all around us!

Debi @ Tuesdays Child said...

I'm so glad that you haven't totally lost your view from those trees [and - since you're so honest to admit to praying for them to die and two have already, I was gonna agree with you in prayer for the third one. You know, where two or three agree ...? lol]

Have a wonderful day, Debra and thank you for just being YOU. Reading your post has started my day off with a big smile. (Hugs)

Karla said...

I love that Abba got rid of those trees for you! I think He knew how important that view of the river was in your connection with His presence and that was more important to him than trees for a church.

What blessings you have listed! I'm inspired to start listing my own to remind myself that this heart doesn't only remember the trials.

Anonymous said...

I love reading through an article that will make men and
women think. Also, many thanks for allowing me
to comment!

Anonymous said...

Greetings! Very useful advice within this post! It is
the little changes which will make the biggest changes.
Many thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Greetings! Very useful advice within this article!
It's the little changes which will make the biggest changes.
Many thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Everything is very open with a precise clarification of the issues.
It was truly informative. Your site is useful.
Thank you for sharing!

Anonymous said...

I blog often and I genuinely appreciate your content.
Your article has truly peaked my interest. I am going to book mark your site and keep checking for new details about once per
week. I opted in for your RSS feed as well.

Anonymous said...

Having read this I believed it was extremely informative.

I appreciate you finding the time and energy to put this content together.

I once again find myself spending a lot of time both reading and
posting comments. But so what, it was still worthwhile!

Anonymous said...

An impressive share! I've just forwarded this onto a friend who has
been conducting a little research on this.
And he actually bought me dinner due to the
fact that I stumbled upon it for him... lol. So let me reword this....
Thank YOU for the meal!! But yeah, thanks for spending time to discuss this topic here on your web site.

Anonymous said...

It’s hard to find knowledgeable people about this topic, however,
you sound like you know what you’re talking about!
Thanks

Anonymous said...

Next time I read a blog, I hope that it doesn't disappoint me as much
as this particular one. After all, I know it was my choice to read through, nonetheless I genuinely believed you would probably have something interesting to talk about.
All I hear is a bunch of complaining about something that you can fix if you weren't too busy seeking attention.

Anonymous said...

I blog often and I seriously thank you for your content. This great article has
really peaked my interest. I'm going to book
mark your blog and keep checking for new details about once per week.
I subscribed to your RSS feed as well.

Anonymous said...

An impressive share! I've just forwarded this onto a friend who has been conducting a little research on this.

And he in fact bought me breakfast due to the fact that I found it for him...
lol. So let me reword this.... Thanks for the meal!! But yeah, thanx
for spending the time to talk about this topic here
on your internet site.

Anonymous said...

I wanted to thank you for this good read!! I definitely loved
every little bit of it. I have you book marked to check out new stuff you post…

Anonymous said...

I want to to thank you for this great read!!
I definitely loved every bit of it. I have got you book marked to check out new stuff you post…

Anonymous said...

This blog was... how do you say it? Relevant!! Finally I have found something which helped me.
Thanks a lot!

Anonymous said...

Greetings! Very helpful advice in this particular article!
It is the little changes which will make the largest changes.
Thanks a lot for sharing!