Sunday, January 10, 2016

Walking. Or Trying To, Anyway...



"I can do all this through him who gives me strength."   ... Philippians 4:13


******


So until age 54,  I could walk as far as I wished.

Well, as long as the ground was flat. And the air temperature wasn't too hot. Or too cold. And if I felt energetic enough.

Then one day it occurred to me, "Hmmm. I've not taken a walk in a really long time." So I grabbed a light jacket and my keys, locked the back door and took off 'round the corner past Neighbor Mike's house.

Oh dear. My lower back began to ache. Bad. 

I cursed myself and walked back home. Practically crawled to a chair then sat there remembering the hundreds of lovely long walks I'd taken past dreamy old houses, imagining women in aprons and head scarves shaking rugs or vacuuming or reading 1940's magazines beside the radio. And cursed myself again. Those days appeared to be over.

But not one to give up, I did some back-strengthening exercises then tried again the following day. Walked past Mike's house--so far so good--made it past a few others, then drats. Back pain. Hobbled home again, but encouraged that, this time, I'd made it farther.

Then the next day I made it all around the entire block! Of course, by the time our hedges came along, I longed to crawl on my knees (oh, my poor aching back). Yet I kept it together and waited to collapse upon the living room carpet.

Over time and in spite of lots of lazy (or ice-covered) missed days, it became easier to walk what amounted to 3 blocks. Now I no longer fought the temptation, when reaching our hedges, to crawl.

Then hooray! A few weeks ago I varied my usual route and walked 4 blocks, instead. I smiled all the way home even though now my hips hurt when I walk. But at least my back feels fine.

Of course, that's when a couple friends on Facebook said they began walking again and within three days they're now clearing 2 miles.

Two miles.

Talk about temptation to quit! But no. Never. In fact, I think God whispered, "Just keep doing the best you can and do it for Me." And not only that but, "Congratulate your friends, the walkers. Wish them well--and mean it. That's the higher route. The route of Love."

And that's the route I'm aiming for in all things. The straighter, narrower one where we're to treat others as we'd have them treat us. Where we cheer for those who have what we wanted, but never did get. Where we step out in faith, then receive what we need. 

You know, God's Street. The one He walks along with you.







******

“If you seek creative ideas go walking.
Angels whisper to a man when he goes for
a walk.” 
― Raymond I. Myers




"Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which lead unto life, and few there are that find it."  ... Matthew 7:14

******








I finished reading Stepsister Sally and couldn't believe how much the ending moved me. "Pull yourself together, Debra!" I said, wiping tears away while I shut this sentimentally beautiful book. There are acres of lovely kids' lit. out there. 


******


Here's A Lot of Cool Links:

15 Foods You Can Regrow From Scraps




And I added these late to my last post:


How To Grow Celery Indoors

How to Grow Lettuce Indoors

Grow An Indoor Herb Garden


******








4 comments:

Yellowhouse Grandma said...

Yup, I've been there, done that. But I'm 66 now and still walking. Not a lot. But don't be discouraged! Just keep on keeping on!

Pam said...

I understand. Some days I do better than others. My body has become very unpredictable over the past few years. I have great intentions, even have orthotic inserts for my shoes, but sometimes I just can't get very far down the road. Like you, I've decided doing my best will be good enough. I will remember to do it for the Lord--love that thought!

Robin in New Jersey said...

Hi Debra,

You might try a new pair of athelic shoes(i.e. sneakers.) When I am at work on my feet for hours, walking back and forth all over the store, and my lower back starts aching, I know it's time for a new pair of sneakers!

Keep trying and the Lord will bless your efforts!

Debra said...

Linda--thanks! Now that winter finally arrived, my walking days will be limited, but I plan to do whatever I can indoors. Having stairs helps and I'm actually grateful for them! I'm glad to hear you're walking as much as you're able!

Pam--yep! I think God is honored whenever we're doing our best in all areas and I think this is one reason why He tells us not to 'compare ourselves amongst ourselves", right? It never comes out 'even'! :)

Robin--thanks for the reminder! I'd been meaning to switch walking shoes since I usually use ones without 'backs'. They're very comfortable, but I notice I keep sort of pushing my feet forward to keep the shoes on and I wondered (after reading your comment) if maybe that's why my hips begin to hurt after awhile. Well, I switched shoes yesterday, ones with 'backs' and hoped they would magically help, but alas. The hip pain returned. Oh well! I'm still greatly encouraged that's it's not my back that hurts anymore! :)

Thanks, Ladies, for commenting! Blessings, Debra