Sunday, December 05, 2010

Giving. And Then Giving Some More.



"Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.” ... Luke 6:38


*****


So this Thanksgiving we mailed a card and a check to certain RelativesWhoShallRemainNameless and when Tom phoned them on Thanksgiving Day, one of them told him, "We appreciated it but, oh! You shouldn't have done that. You can't afford to give away money now that you are without a job."

Good grief.

It is in giving that we receive. Remember all those sermons from all those church pulpits? Give away nothing and what does that leave God to work with? Nothing. For nothing given = nothing received in return.

Of course, some people get all bug-eyed-hyper and insist, "Oh, but you should never give things away while expecting something in return!," (followed by much tongue-clucking and squinting of eyes).

Oh really? Although I agree it shouldn't be our main motive, (and we shouldn't expect to receive back from that person) I, for one, find nothing wrong in expecting God's principles to work if I put them into practice. As in, be it unto me, even as I have believed. Be it unto me even as I expected God to move on my behalf.

So as for me and my house in these days of unemployment, we will search for ways to give rather than horde out of a fear of lack.

And we will be blessed. Even in 2010. Even in our unemployment.

It's a joy to live supernaturally, as in, spending our days, our few years upon Earth, differently than the majority of the planet. Thinking and acting in an opposite manner brings us some stares, but it also brings  exciting experiences with a few miracles tossed into the swirling mix.




**********

Psalm 5:3
In the morning, Lord, you hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests before you and wait expectantly.


*****

3 comments:

Unknown said...

His word is true and you are doing just want you are supposed to do. Praise God from whom all blessing flow.
Odie

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

One of the truths we have found over the years is that (most of the time) it is people who have known what it is to be in need who are the best givers. :)

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

I think you are so right here, Debra. We are meant to have generous hearts. The Lord loves a cheerful giver. He will never be outdone in generosity.