Monday, June 18, 2007


I don't know.

Lately I've been having too much fun to write in this blog. Or something. It's as though God is helping me live what I've been preaching here (many of my own posts haunt me in a good way) and mostly it's all feeling so darn enjoyable. Again, mostly.

What helps, too, is that while wandering around our city library's "what-are-you-gonna-do-for-the-rest-of-your-life?" section, I discovered the perfect book for this current place in my life. It's called, My Time: Making The Most Of The Rest of Your Life. Gracious. The author interviewed many people over 50 about how they felt and what they're doing after their children left home and after facing the facts: they could quite possibly have more than 30 years left to fill! So I'm reading this book and feeling as though I'm in great company and becoming inspired to boldly make some changes in myself and the way I live and breathe and have my being (as the verse says).

I highly recommend My Time for those of you who've contacted me (or not) about feeling stuck or extremely curious about what you're supposed to do now that you've got this empty house and extra hours. And well, I can't recommend every word in this book, but long gone are the days when, if a book or preacher or tv star said one or two things I disagreed with, I'd race away and plug my ears. Those kinds of picky people become one-dimensional and dull... trust me, I know. I can learn from every person on Earth now--what freedom!

On that same trip to the library I discovered an essayist with a dry sense of humor which I love. She's Bailey White and I devoured two of her books this weekend: Mama Makes Up Her Mind: And Other Dangers of Southern Living, and the other, Sleeping At The Starlight Motel: And Other Adventures On The Way Back Home. I could not put these books down--both were crammed with funny, poignant essays and both inspired me to become downright eccentric. And free.

I love books like that. They help me lighten-up--and for someone who's always leaned toward being overly serious, especially as a teenager when *everything* was a great big hairy deal--that's a Good Thing.


***
P.S. If you ever read a book or watch a movie because of my recommendation, I hope you'll tell me. Whether you loved it or hated it doesn't matter--I'm always curious to hear other's impressions of what I recommend. Always!

And below, some of my latest finds for my new collection:


No comments: