Friday, November 11, 2005

It Matters...



It matters how I pack my husband's lunch for work. 

It matters that I send him out our blue back door with a smile and that I spend time with him while he's home and how I keep my little grey house. 

It matters that I do my best to decorate the house nicely, make it comfortable for my family and that I keep up with the laundry way down in our deep, dark basement so that we have clean clothes to wear.

It matters that I care for Lennon and McCartney, our cats, as best I can.

And that I smile at people at the supermarket, especially the ones who look haunted with loneliness. It matters that I motion for people to go ahead and walk in front of my car because I'll pause and wait for them.

All these things, and hundreds more, matter because love matters:

"... but the greatest of these is love..."

I wonder if sometimes homemakers, especially, are insecure and unfulfilled because they don't realize that what they do matters. All of it. Instead, into our ears is constantly whispered:

"But the greatest of these is money, education, a glamorous career, great clothes, a big house, a small body, and a new car."

No wonder so many people go through their days feeling they are wasting their time, when in reality, everything we do matters a great deal.

In reality, we're only wasting our time if whatever we do, is not done in love. Whatever is done out of--and because of--love, is done richly, with a wealth seen easily by God (and not so easily by people). And it all adds up.

Little things done in love are huge to God. They are a big deal to Him and He remembers them, stores them up, each one, because:

"... the greatest of these is love..."


******

No comments: