Thursday, November 17, 2005

Following Hard After Peace




"Depart from evil and do good; seek, inquire for, and crave peace and pursue (go after) it!" ... Psalm 34:14


******

After my last post, Beth asked about hearing from God, about knowing which way to go and which choices to make.

For me, I am learning when there's a choice to be made, I must choose peace.

But it takes a lot of dying first before one can always choose the way of peace. Dying to what I want, what I think, and what I feel and instead, wanting with all my heart what God wants, thinks and feels.

It takes admitting--and believing--that I know nothing and He knows everything. It takes letting Him change my mind and unlearn what I was taught.

It takes pressing past fearing what I will hear Him tell me to do. It takes courage to do what looks impossible or unpopular.

It takes many years to die.

And it requires a whole lot of listening in order to hear what God is saying and where He's leading. 

Jesus said, "My sheep hear my voice." And it should be that simple, even though the world will tell you you are insane/unstable/bubble-headed if you're hearing His voice. That's when many people bail out, you know, when others criticize.

Jesus' voice is soft and you know? It sounds an awful lot like our conscience. And oh my, listening and obeying that requires much humility--

--and knowing God will show us the best way if only we will pause and listen for it. For Him.



"As for God, His way is perfect! The word of the Lord is tested and tried; He is a shield to all those who take refuge and put their trust in Him." ... Psalm 18:20


******

No comments: