Tuesday, October 11, 2005

A Vacation From My Vacation




Today will be special.

I'm meeting someone I have known for five years online. Wilma and I met on a Gladys Taber listserv and today she and her husband will come visit me, my house and my family, then the three of us will travel out to the countryside I love so well. I'll give them the grand tour.

I hope it will be grand enough--you never know if people will feel about things the same way you do, but knowing Wilma as I do. I'm thinking she'll enjoy it.

I used to be shy, fearful and rarely took chances, but eventually (after experience) the fear left and I became more concerned about God's thoughts rather than mine. Life changed, I changed and so did my world.

So today Wilma, her husband and I will travel over country roads and see the rainbow-tipped trees, cobblestone houses, farmland and horses. We'll visit the silent little book cabin in the 1910 voting booth, the one where you drop quarters for your books--clink!-- in a tin box by the door. The honor system still works out there in the country.

And we'll see more. Lake Ontario and Tom's and my 'private park' there on its shores. And the orchard fruit stand which was once featured in Victoria Magazine. I can't even describe that place and its barns to you--I would gush.

But there's no time. Now, I must start cleaning this house which I've told Wilma so much about over the years and cook some lunch for my parents and Tom for later and all the hundred other little things you do before you leave for a whole day.

And I'm wishing each of you a day as lovely as the one I know lies ahead.


******

No comments: