Saturday, August 06, 2005

Update on The Sign


In my previous post I told you about the sign I saw on the porch of one of the lovely old houses in a nearby neighborhood. It says, "And They Lived Happily Every After." (For more info. see my post below.)

Well, today I drove over there on my way back from running errands, not even shaking with fear as I would have years ago. (What a relief to be out from under the curse of shyness!) Anyway, the husband was home as well as his adorable little curly-haired girl and boy, Rosalie and Wally, both of whom kept asking me my name. Their mom was out playing league softball on this cool Saturday morning.

So anyway, I told the dad I loved their sign and I asked him where they found it. He said he thinks his wife bought it at a craft fair and that she loved it, too. He scribbled down my phone number and said he'd have his wife call me if she had more information about it. And while all this was going on I stood there on the porch with the adorable little ones asking me my name over and over (I gave up telling them after repeating it three times) and memorized the sign because most likely, I will try painting my own.

But I looked down at the children, too, and I wanted to tell their young dad that he and his wife are at such a magical phase of their lives. I wanted to, but I didn't, because sometimes when you say that to people, especially while the children are talking non-stop, the parent sputters and chokes and says, "Yeah, right." But still, I should probably say it anyway because later it may come back to them and slow them down, even a moment, to really look and See their children. Kids move and grow so fast and if you're not careful, the time vanishes and you're looking back at only shadows of Life as it was but can never be again.

But I digress.

Yesterday online I found some signs with the same line, but compared to this one, they were small and boring. This one had pizazz and for right now, all I can do is describe it to you in case you'd like to paint your own.

The board was approximately 8 inches tall and 4 feet long.
Across the top and bottom were two lines of checkerboard painted in cream and dark blue alternating squares. There may have been a little heart at each corner of the board--I'm not sure.
The center of the sign was cream and brown sponged together.
The lettering in the center was, I believe, in dark blue. It said, And They Lived Happily Ever After.
After the words "And They" there was a thinnish dark red heart just a tad taller than the lettering, and sponged with bits of black. And there was another heart after the words "Lived Happily".

Well, that's how I recall it looked. I may try painting mine soon. I'll let you know if the mother calls me back--maybe I'll give her my line about her being at a magical stage of life if I can slip it into the conversation. Perhaps she needs the reminder.

Come to think of it, don't we all?



******

No comments: