Saturday, February 18, 2023

Giving Myself Permission To Be a Slacker


"Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness."   --- Romans 8:26


*******


(Oh, and this post is for anytime any of us are thrown a 'curve ball season'. Doesn't have to be sickness.)


That first night with covid inside my (dearly loved) light blue and white striped closet bedroom? 

The Holy Spirit whispered, "This will be only a short season. If you'll express gratitude rather than self-pity, this won't be terrible. Rest upon your pillow, welcome God's sweet presence."

And of course, what a difference that made.

Yet also, in my near delirium, self-pity tried to yank me down to depths God never meant for us. But I fought--limply, but still. And through my opened closet door, I Love Lucy dvd's played and I dreamed, drifted, and thanked God that--still--these are a delight.

(What I think He told me? Satan hates it when people laugh and because God gave Lucy and Desi Arnaz extra portions of humor and creative intelligence, they faced enormous evil pressure. Satan's goal was to shut it, them, down early, to deprive us all of their gifts.)

Anyway. The permission to be a slacker part. Yes, the early weeks, especially, I'd think--

--- but I need to carry the bucket of snacks out to the porch for the delivery folks!
and feed the birds!
and clean the kitchen counters, what with all their bottles and cups!
and vacuum the living room!
and trim my hair!
and encourage people online!
and--

But oh, the Holy Spirit. Gently He'd say, "No, Debra. You need to rest in Presence. In Peace. You're expecting more from yourself than even God does--again. I'll lead you in what must be done. You can do those things in Christ."

So I Love Lucy played on (and on) and somehow I made breakfast and lunch for Tom and myself. (I recall breakfast, but oh my, lunch is a forgotten memory. How did it get done? Besides the meals Naomi made us, what did we eat?)

Oh, the strengthening, encouraging presence of God, especially when one is sick! Especially when we actually trust.

Coughing, remaining in pajamas, feeling feverish, blowing my nose and extreme fatigue. Ugh. Yet what I'll always remember most?  Sleeping better at night than usual, I Love Lucy, and the comfort of Presence whenever I refused self-pity's wooing (both cannot co-exist. Remember that.).

Yes, for nearly a month, ol' Debra gave herself permission to be a slacker (while the Holy Spirit reassured her He'd not let it become a lifestyle).  ツ

The Holy Spirit, Wisdom and Grace? They do all things well. They place  hands on fevered brows and repeat and repeat, "This is only a short season. Soon all shall be well."

And it was. And is. And will yet be to come.





"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope."   --- Romans 15:13


Oh, the varying length of Life's many seasons!





******


What also helped us through covid? --



Ibuprofen
Sleeping on our sides, not back
Ivermectin
Pineapple, pineapple juice
Gatorade
We did breathing exercises
Resting whenever we felt the need.
Vitamin D3, Vitamin C, elderberry pills, zinc
Hot tea
We ate eggs for breakfast
Not stressing out about it
Holding our faces over steam
We walked around often, flapping our arms (read this helps)
Homemade carbonated water, sometimes with tonic syrup
Not feeling rushed to return to real life
Lots of water flavored with a bit of juice
Oh, and asking for prayer online... and lots of chicken soup!


******

Okay, this was wild! (I'm still trying to figure out how he did that.)

Oh, and I enjoyed watching this young woman build her dream library (or did I share this already?)  シ


******





The Asbury Revival? What a joy to watch and only a beginning of the Great Outpouring of the Holy Spirit! 
And oh how it reminds me of the incredible renewal we experienced back in the 90's. That, and learning from Joyce Meyer (especially) how to sustain renewal/revival--both--changed me forever and left me with such love for Jesus, a desire to obey Him and a longing to remain in His sweet presence.



‘For I will pour out water on the thirsty land
And streams on the dry ground;
I will pour out My Spirit on your offspring
And My blessing on your descendants..."

“It will come about after this
That I will pour out My Spirit on all mankind;
And your sons and daughters will prophesy,
Your old men will dream dreams,
Your young men will see visions.
“Even on the male and female servants
I will pour out My Spirit in those days."   --- Isaiah 44:3, Joel 2:28, 29


******




After the first two weeks of covid, the sun finally shone and outdoors felt like Springtime! What a dear, dear gift.


Yes. Oh my yes, indeed.






Please remember: My posts are always about more than they appear to be. 

 *** 

 "For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you, but if you do not forgive others their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses." ... Matthew 6:14,15

6 comments:

Betsy said...

Ah covid. We also did many of the things you did. The fatigue still persues me, even after 2 1/2 months. On top of that, I caught a doozy of a cold on my flight home from London last week. No, it's not covid but the head stuff, cough and no voice is not fun at all. I've stayed inside the apartment away from others while listening to the Bible on my app. (It hurts my eyes to read right now.)
This too shall pass, and the Holy Spirit assures me that rest is important right now.
Blessings,
Betsy

Sandi said...

"...I will pour out My Spirit on your offspring
And My blessing on your descendants..."

Thank you for posting this, Debra. His Presence is everything!

Pam said...

I know that I have been guilty of "pushing through" at different times in my life. Now that I'm older, I wonder why. I think the fact that my parents pushed through adversity made me think it was the best choice. The good thing is that it's never too late to change. When I read the title of this post, I thought, Yep, I want to have the freedom to be and act however the Lord leads me to be. His way is peace.

Debra, thank you for sharing what the Lord has revealed to you over these (sometimes) difficult days. I always take something from your posts that helps me to live better. Many thanks to you.

Friends Peterborough said...

Debra, I always get so much from your posts. Thanks so much for faithfully posting such encouragement. I trust that you're feeling much better these days. God bless you and Tom!

Debra said...

Betsy--I'm so sorry you're not feeling well again. Still praying for you! And oh my, must confess when you said you might be moving again I, well, got kinda dizzy. heh. :) My best wishes to you in all you do!

Sandi--so wonderful to hear from someone who truly understands! Again, thanks for reading here.

Pam and Friends Peterborough--must say that both your comments made my day. I love it when people let me know the timing on the post was right and made a difference in their lives. Thanks so much for taking the time to comment and for letting me know! <3


Thank-you to Everyone! Blessings, Debra

Leah said...

Oh yes, that Covid fatigue is no joke! I had it in 2021, and I've never slept as much as I did for those weeks of recovery. So glad you're feeling better, friend!